Author Topic: General Cemetery, Sheffield  (Read 1006 times)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
General Cemetery, Sheffield
« on: Saturday 11 November 06 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters
I went to Sheffield today and had a walk round the General Cemetery off Ecclesall Road (entrance very close to Cafe Rouge) - it was built in 1836 and is one of the earliest cemeteries in the country and is becoming very neglected, as Sheffield Council want to forget it (and sell chunks of it off for development).  I was told that the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust which tries to take care of it with volunteers is going to be wound up if they can't get more help - the AGM I understand is on the 16th.  There is a Memorial walk tomorrow - sorry don't know times, as not a local, but believe it to be in the morning.  The thing is it's an amazing place - on a steep hillside, with winding paths amonst trees, and lots of wonderful monuments, something like 7 listed buildings.  The bus driver had never heard of it and assured me there was no cemetery in the area.  So this is for anyone who might want to do something about it.  I'm afraid I've committed a cardinal Rootschat sin and put it in the Common Room as well for which I apologise - but I hope people will visit - lots of locals do - and perhaps drum up some support for it.
Best wishes
Linda
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: General Cemetery, Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 06 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I am not a member of the Trust, but from reading their recent newsletters I think the purpose of the AGM is not as suggested above.

The original organisation was the Friends of the General Cemetery. More recently the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust was formed and took over the managment of the site, but the Friends still exist as an organisation.

The AGM will consider a formal proposal to close down the original body. I suspect this will not have any effect on the work of the Trust.

This doesn't mean that there are not challenges to be faced by those who feel stongly about preserving this cemetery. There was a recent planning application from the owner of the Anglican Chapel which would have meant part of the cemetery becoming part of his garden! Does anyone know the current state of that controversy?

If a member of the Trust reads this please correct any errors!

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 06 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Someone I know is a volunteer in the cemetery and I expect to see them tomorrow night, so I'll try and find out what's going on and post an update.  That doesn't mean someone who knows first-hand should hold back from clarifying the situation!

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Hugh and Julian
Thanks very much for your replies - it was one of the volunteers who was telling me of the situation - I may not have understood it fully - but I can't help feeling that Sheffield Council could support the cemetery and its volunteers a lot more than it does.  It's a wonderful place and I'm glad there are people like you who are taking an interest in it.  (and yes, I'm a "friend" of my local old cemetery).
Best wishes
Linda
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)