Author Topic: Suggestions??--Birth Locations in General  (Read 880 times)

Offline m a r g e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Suggestions??--Birth Locations in General
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 00:54 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for suggestions as to where do I look next ---I'm looking for a birth location for my great-grandfather.  His death cert. does not have a birthplace on it, so I can't apply for his birth cert.  and honestly know that the one I receive is for HIM --there are a lot of John Roches out there.  I know his father was also John Roche, but don't know his mother's name.  That is another problem.  He died before 1901 --1886 in fact, so he's not on "that" census.  No family members have any knowledge of his birthplace.  He was a tailor in Cork City, but to this point, I have no knowledge of his owning his own shop.  What do you suggest??  Thank you    Marge

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions??--Birth Locations in General
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 06 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Marge- any idea when he was born?
Registration of births, and deaths, started in 1864 so if he was born before then you need to look for a baptism (even harder to find than civil registration unless you know the church).
1901 census will only give county of birth, except in a few cases where information incorrectly filled out to give townland or city. Can you find where any siblings were born and work from there?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline m a r g e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 06 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I only know from his marriage cert and his death cert --that he was born in 1841.  No location.  No siblings known.  I was wondering if anyone knows whether there would have been an application to marry filed or banns ---they were Catholic.  And if there were ---would the church have requested parental information and birth location???  He died before the 1901 census.  Being a tailor --I don't think he would have been "important" enough to have an obituary printed --and even if he did --there would not have been much information given anyway --just John Roche, son of John Roche --Jan 15, 1886.  Thanks.  :>)  Marge

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 06 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Maybe there are records of him belonging to a tailors' guild/trade directory? No idea of details but COrk City Library might know. :)
Durham/N'land: RYLE, JACKSON, ROBSON, BAGNALL, HARROWER, HOOD, SPENCER, COLLEY, RAEY, ROSEBURGH, MORTON, BACKLEY, BROWELL, BEWICK, BURT, CARR, CLAYTON, DAVISON, DUNN, HOME, GIBBS, GODFREY, HALL, HOWDON, JOHNSON, JOY, LEE,  LONGSTAFF, MARSHALL, NEWTON, PRUDHOE, RAMSAY, SCAIFE, SIBBALD, SOUTHALL, STOKER, TIPLADY/TIPLADIE
Glasgow/Ayr:  TAYLOR, GILLESPIE, CAMERON, LANG, DUNLOP, WILTON, MACKAY
Edinburgh: NAPLES
Fife: EASTON, TAYLOR
Co. Carlow/ Kilkenny (IRL) GAHAN
Co. Cork (IRL) COTTER, O'KEEFFE

Offline m a r g e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 06 15:50 GMT (UK) »
That's an idea I can try --Didn't know that there was a directory for tailors --but then again --I don't know a whole lot about genealogical research in Ireland.  I'm just a beginner at this.  :>)   Thanks   Marge