Author Topic: SIBUN - Edmonton, Canada  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SIBUN - Edmonton, Canada
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 14:18 GMT (UK) »
   Sibun Alfred Edward dob 2.9.1880 Chatham Kent England buried Edmonton Canada 1961 married to Alice Emily Adams 1906 Chatham, Kent England. possible son Alfred John born 1915 edmonton (no proof). He was on the british 1901 census - do not know exactly when they travelled.
I have spent quite a few fruitless hours trying to find 1) them on any passenger lists from England to the americas 2) them on any Canadian census' 3) the birth of any of their children. an Alfred E. Sibun Canadian from Edmonton was on the Ascania from Southhampton to New york on th 16th march 1956 accompanied by Kathleen Helena Sibun Canadien.
I  found an Alfred John Sibun travelling on the Queen Elizabeth with his wife Ellen Ethel from Southampton to New York on the 22 April 1948 he was given as Civil Servant born in Edmonton aged 33.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
many thanks
Maid of Kent
Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SIBUN - Edmonton, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 06 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maid of Kent,

I found your Alfred Edward Sibun in the Attestation Papers from WW1.  There is also a William George Sibun listed.  (Born in London)  You may be looking in the wrong province as Alfred is listed that his next of kin (Alice) is living in Edmonton which is in Alberta.  That was in 1915.  You can print out his actual enlistment forms at the following address:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html

I hope that helps,

Nancy 
Attwater - Kent & London England (All spelling variations)
Goodwin - Kent & London England
Cronin - Ontario & Ireland
Clancy - Peter Robinson Expedition - Ontario, Canada & Rockmills, Cork, Ireland
Kenneally - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Redmond - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Shepley - Ontario, Canada & Lancashire, England

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 06 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the location mix up.  For some reason I thought you said he was in British Columbia so you are indeed looking at the right location.  My mistake.   :-X

I agree with you that unless there is a transcription error, they are not on the Canadian 1911 census.  I checked with three different census sources and could not find them.  This would make me conclude that they probably arrived after June of 1911 and were in Alberta by Feb.16, 1915, the date on the Attestation papers.

If you were really dedicated to finding them on a passenger list, you can search the ships indexes at the following address:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/passenger/001045-100.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=688271a6d000fae04d5a18f1d4a4e733

At present, the indexes are not indexed by passenger so you will have to go through each ship arrival and the complete log.  Most ships have over 50 pages and if you search by year, there are over 200 ships a year.  If you have an idea of what port they left from in England, you can knock that number down.

Another site to keep an eye on is listed below:

http://members.shaw.ca/nanaimo.fhs/

They are starting to index the ships transcriptions.  At present there is no Sibun's on their transcriptions.  It's a slow process but it may be worth working on something else for a while and checking back later to see if they show up.

I hope this helps in some way.  Good luck in your research.   :-*

Nancy 

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 06 20:07 GMT (UK) »
hi Nancy, thank you for your reply and all information. I think some things must be let be....on the 16th feb 1916 Alfred was in Edmonton how and when he got there ? As much I'd like to know I'm not going to hawl through all the passenger lists. Concentrating more on finding Alfred John Sibun born 1915 Edmonton.
again many thanks
Maid of Kent
Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 06 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maid of Kent,

The year for the Attestation papers was 1915 (not 1916).  I had a look at the Canada telephone directory online.  There are 3 Sibun's living in Alberta.  No address listed.  If you can find someone in Alberta, they may be able to do an address lookup for you if you want to write them a letter.  If you want to make a call, you can look them up at:

http://1canada411.sympatico.ca/eng/person.html

Good luck in your research.   ;)

Nancy

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 06 02:29 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census transcription for Edmonton is not nearly finished...The year of immigration may be listed on the actual image when it is...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 November 06 02:34 GMT (UK) »

see: As Community Liaison Officers in District 5 ....2/3 down page...
http://tinyurl.com/y2pz9p 

There is an email address at bottom of page, perhaps they can contact the person for you...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 November 06 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you are interested in knowing all you can of the people you are searching, but will post this listng....link  at right of Private A. E. Sibun will lead to the actual newspaper...
http://www.rootsweb.com/~abwcobit/Data/WW1/ReturnedMen/Data/ReturnedMenWW1Page340.html

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile