Author Topic: 1841 Cookham - AUSTIN  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1841 Cookham - AUSTIN
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Could someone with access to the 1841 census for Cookham look up Charles Austin and his wife Eliza and family.  In 1851 this was them
Charles Austin 33 aglab Penn Bucks
Eliza 32 Marlow Bucks
Sarah 15 Cookham
Susan 13 Cookham
Rebeccah 10 Cookham
Elizabeth 7 Cookham
Hanner 5 Cookham
They were still in Cookham Dene in 1861

Any help with this my 2nd great grandfather would be gratefully received, particularly daughter's marriages. Thanks
Regards
Vicwiann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Cookham - AUSTIN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 06 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have found Charles either working as a farm labourer at the Royal Berkshire Hospital or possibly he was a patient there.  He is shown as aged 26 and not born in county which ties up with his profile

HO107/34/10 folio 3 page 2

I can't find his family at the moment
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 06 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, Carole. Every little peice of info helps. If he were a patient then possibly his family were still in Cookham.  I have found the birth and marriage of their son, James Henry b 1851 after the census, but I have drawn a blank with the girls. 
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 06 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have done christian name only searches in both Berks and Bucks (in case Eliza went back to her birthplace) and started to wonder if the older children were Eliza's by a previous marriage.  However, I then found Sarah's birth in 1836 on the IGI

I also looked at all Austin entries for Cookham but again - nowt
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 November 06 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying Carole. 
James Henry Austin 1851 was also christened in Cookham but is not on the IGI.  Looks like I am going to have to make some paid for requests of Berks Record Office.  Eliza died in 1880 and on the 1871 census she said she was born Cookham. In 1851/61 Marlow.  Charles died in Cookham Workhouse 1898.
Thanks for your time.
Regards
Vicwinann