Author Topic: Ennis, County Clare, Parish records.  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ennis, County Clare, Parish records.
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I have exhausted my research at this point trying to find my Catherine O'Brien who married John O'Halloran around 1824. They had four children to the best of my knowledge, two being baptized in Limerick. I cannot find out any further information from Limerick City and now I feel there may be a possibility they originated from Ennis.
Could someone please advise me as to whether and as to what church may be able to help me. They were Catholics.

Pam...Sydney
O'Halloran, O'Brien - Limerick. Ireland
Dower - Co.Waterford. Ireland
Dodd - Co.Kildare. Ireland
Cotter - Co.Cork. Ireland
French, Sussex. U.K.
Pinning (Penning) - Lincolnshire. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Bennett- Staffordshire. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K
Coffey - Co.Cork, Ireland.
Connolly- Co. Dublin, Ireland
Walton - Co. Durham U.K.
Stoker - Co. Durham. U.K.
Henderson - Co. Durham U.K

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Ennis, County Clare, Parish records.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Pam,

The Civil Records of Irish births and marriages didn't become compulsory until 1864. It can be difficult to trace records prior to that date. The register in the National Library details the Catholic records which were in existence from each church in the country up to 1880. A look at that register might help you in finding which church has the records. Lets hope you are able to find some kind soul to do that on your behalf. You may have problems getting to see these in local churches as the books are very fragile and it's a slow process looking at them. You should see the little pieces of paper that fall off old papers in the Newspaper library. Someone from the church needs to be in attendance when people are looking at records.  Some Parish Priests are very helpful and allow people to search for their ancestors or do it for you whenever they have the time. It has been known for a Priest to drive a RootsChatter all round the county stopping to introduce them to everyone they see and telling them the story of the search. This is quite a good method to go about a search particularly if you are spending a few days in the area. Maybe the church should consider employing Priests specifically for this purpose

Chris

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christopher for your reply, we were in Ireland last year and as we
only had two weeks, did not achieve everything we would have wished for, looks like we may have to come back at some other time, we had a wonderful holiday.
Most of my researching is for the early 1800s, so I do need to come over or to hire a researcher which is very expensive. pricey both ways.

Kind regards,
Pam....Sydney
French, Sussex. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K
Connolly- Co. Dublin, Ireland
Walton - Co. Durham U.K.
Stoker - Co. Durham. U.K.
Henderson - Co. Durham U.K

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 07 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hiya Pam,

Maybe some enthusiastic amateur genealogists from Co. Clare will join RootsChat if there are not some who are already members. There are some great people giving assistance in Ireland. I don't know all of them but I must mention the great bunch in the Belfast area who do lookups, drive people around Belfast, provide useful links, recommend places to stay and spend time getting out and about taking photographs of interest to people searching for their ancestors. If there was a similar group in each county in Ireland the job would be a great deal easier.

Chris.

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 07 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your help. One day I may find answers to my questions . I am really stuck on my O'Halloran's / O'Brien's.  :( Anyhow I guess my constant searching keeps me out of the pub. :D :D

Regards,

Pam..Sydney
French, Sussex. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K