Author Topic: " They Came from Dumfries"  (Read 5682 times)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
" They Came from Dumfries"
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 23:09 GMT (UK) »

Having a frustraying time researching my HISLOP / HYSLOP forbears. I have traced back to this couple , Richard Hislop (a blacksmith in Glasgow from about 1800 onwards ) and his wife Isabella Hardie.
       Her 1855 death cert . states that she was from Falkirk , born circa 1777 but of course  , Richard was deceased before official records were required.
       An aunt told us that the Hislops "came from Dumfries" , so if anyone has a Richard Hyslop born circa  1775in their tree , I would love to hear from you.
        Richard and Isabella`s first son was John, so if the naming pattern was adhered to, Richard`s father in Dumfries could have been John Hyslop - but beware of red herrings!
           Hope to hear from another Hislop researcher, Regards, Thommoje
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: " They Came from Dumfries"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 December 14 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Thommoje,

I don't have much to offer 8 years later on, but I just wanted to say I am a HYSLOP descendant too and my HYSLOPS did come "from Dumfriesshire" that much I know. My 3x great grandmother was Jean HYSLOP born 1787, married James LAIDLAW in 1818, and died in 1862. I have not delved any further into the HYSLOP tree.

Mary
in Canada
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 December 14 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Great variation in spellings of this, Black, in his "Scottish Surnames" has the earliest Hislop (hazel-hope), Alexander, in Edinburgh 1425.
I think a "Hope" is the farm at the head of a glen, south Scotland. 
Glasgow 1446 then Houston, Kelso & Stow.
An Alexander Hesillip is in Carsphairn in 1684 so that could be your Hislop's?

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 December 14 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh,

Not only with this entry but with so many other's..................the variations of name spelling is beyond comprehension & it is unbelievable how so many people researching will not budge from the spelling they think it ought to be  ::)

This one is a great example of how names change !!!  :)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Annie,

You are right! I have TUDHOPE in my tree too and it has been TUTOP, TUDHOP, TYTOP and more. My husband has CUTHBERTSON and I once accidentally found one of his relatives named Oswald CUTHBERTSON recorded as Oswell CULVERSON! So many variants. It's enough to boggle the mind!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »

Hi Skoosh
Great variation in spellings of this, Black, in his "Scottish Surnames" has the earliest Hislop (hazel-hope), Alexander, in Edinburgh 1425.
I think a "Hope" is the farm at the head of a glen, south Scotland. 
Glasgow 1446 then Houston, Kelso & Stow.
An Alexander Hesillip is in Carsphairn in 1684 so that could be your Hislop's?

Skoosh.
I solved that mystery some time ago but Skoosh was quite close to the truth of the matter in her reference to Hazelhope. My G G Grandfather did not come from Dumfries, he came from Stockton on Tees and his name was Heslehurst ( spelling variations being Hesslehurst , Haselhurst  etc etc ).He had been in the North York Militia ( in marriage record he is " Richard Hesslehurst , Soldier in Nth York Militia" - met his future wife in Glasgow and they married there in 1799 - went back to Yorkshire where two sons were born - then must have decided to return to Glasgow to live.
             In doing so, he would seem to be deserting his militia obligations ( a possible hanging offence at the time ) so that could be the reason for the name change. Heslop was a common name in Yorkshire but crossing the border in to Scotland it becomes Hi/yslop. This couple married as Heslehurst but returned as Hyslop. Most of the subsequent families eventually adopted the Hislop spelling though a few persisted with Hyslop .
            I was able to solve the mystery because a cousin in Scotland had contacted an elderly cousin whose father had seen the record of the name change in the Family Bible - would love to know where that Bible is!
            Oh what a tangled web we weave! Thanks all for your interest,      Thommoje
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig