Author Topic: RYLE Ltd - Whitley Bay & Hexham  (Read 15201 times)

Offline elocin2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RYLE Ltd - Whitley Bay & Hexham
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Siobhán, my name is Jennifer Johnston (nee Botham) and I worked at Ryle’s as my very first job when I was 15, so approx 1960, actually on my 15Th birthday, that was my very first day at work. I worked in the lingerie dept with a lovely lady whose name escapes me for now. Oh, maybe Mrs Hopper? The lingerie was amazing in those days, Hollywood style, wonderful for a 15 year old to work with. I had to tidy the drawers of underwear and night dresses and negligees and make sure everything was absolutely in line... I also worked when there was a fashion parade, as a dresser, so amazing to do that at 15, help those beautiful models to have everything ready for them and all on the hanger to go, dress, jacket etc, shoes, jewels, so she could just pop it all on and then I had to check she looked OK. The parades were unbelievable to me. Then there were the shop windows after a parade, with everything from the Bride, bridesmaid, mother of the bride etc, to the guests and all the windows were such a spectacular show. One year, a crazed or drunk man smashed quite a few of the windows with a big stick or walking stick through the night. Next day when the shock had worn off, we had to sit and pick out all the glass from the beautiful bridal veil and gown...it was a sad day for us, to think someone would do that. I loved working there, especially when the lady in the makeup and perfume dept would give me tips and spray a bit of Blue Grass or Suede perfume on me!! I would LOVE to hear how you have gone with any more stories about Ryle’s, and also if you have photos? I have lived in Australia since 1966 and went back to have a look in 1994 but of course I was so sad to see it was no longer there. Kind regards, Jennifer.

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 January 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,
Finally replying to your posts, my sincere apologies. I have not been on Rootschat for a very, very long time due to continuous ill-health. I am as ever totally interested in any story, any detail, even a description of anything or anyone to do with it. I have enjoyed reading all your posts just now.
I will endeavour to put up the few photos I have to do with Ryle Ltd, which I hope you will enjoy. I have yet to find an interior photo of the store.
I also aim to reply to each post individually.

Thanks again.
Durham/N'land: RYLE, JACKSON, ROBSON, BAGNALL, HARROWER, HOOD, SPENCER, COLLEY, RAEY, ROSEBURGH, MORTON, BACKLEY, BROWELL, BEWICK, BURT, CARR, CLAYTON, DAVISON, DUNN, HOME, GIBBS, GODFREY, HALL, HOWDON, JOHNSON, JOY, LEE,  LONGSTAFF, MARSHALL, NEWTON, PRUDHOE, RAMSAY, SCAIFE, SIBBALD, SOUTHALL, STOKER, TIPLADY/TIPLADIE
Glasgow/Ayr:  TAYLOR, GILLESPIE, CAMERON, LANG, DUNLOP, WILTON, MACKAY
Edinburgh: NAPLES
Fife: EASTON, TAYLOR
Co. Carlow/ Kilkenny (IRL) GAHAN
Co. Cork (IRL) COTTER, O'KEEFFE

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 31 January 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Frangelico, am absolutely thrilled to hear you are related - we never heard much of the Jackson side. I have done some research but you will no doubt have more information. I will pm you.  :)
Durham/N'land: RYLE, JACKSON, ROBSON, BAGNALL, HARROWER, HOOD, SPENCER, COLLEY, RAEY, ROSEBURGH, MORTON, BACKLEY, BROWELL, BEWICK, BURT, CARR, CLAYTON, DAVISON, DUNN, HOME, GIBBS, GODFREY, HALL, HOWDON, JOHNSON, JOY, LEE,  LONGSTAFF, MARSHALL, NEWTON, PRUDHOE, RAMSAY, SCAIFE, SIBBALD, SOUTHALL, STOKER, TIPLADY/TIPLADIE

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 January 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Rasmus, am delighted to see you are also connected. I am in contact with Ryles from that end of the tree. Would love to compare notes! Will pm you.

Offline frangelico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 February 14 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sio
I don,t know if you will be able to pm me as I have not had 3 postings on this site. I am new to the site and I am still not sure how to go on with it.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 September 16 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Siobhán and All

I noticed in your interests that you had Ryle, Hood, Spencer and Jackson.

I am interested in Hood of Selby before circa 1812 and prior to this, a John Hood of Gateshead / Newcastle, a Mariner. Also John Spencer of Scarborough and Jackson of Selby (if Jackson was linked to Hood).

There was a Newcastle Agents business called Hood & Ryle of Newcastle in 1811, associated with shipping goods between Hull and Newcastle.

Will of Robert Hood of Gateshead (mentioning Ryle)
"Robert HOOD, gentleman, of Windmill hills in the parish of Gateshead in the county of Durham [Gateshead, County Durham]"
Date of probate: 1 October 1812

"Will and codicil used in the court case on 20 May 1816: Jane Stodhart (wife of the Reverend Robert Stodhart), Samuel Hood, Peter Hood and Benjamin Hood v John Ryle, John Linsay Angus and Jabez Hood"

Three images here
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11848-147714-50

Via a "Hood" surname search here ...
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

I was wondering, whether you had come across my Hoods (George Hood and John Hood), please?

Kind regards, Mark

Offline Fred P

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 September 23 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Siobhán,

William Ryle (1842-1924) was my great-grandfather, his daughter Jane Ryle (1880-1979) was my grandmother.  Of course the shop was owned by a different branch of the family but my mother would shop there a lot and I remember it well.  My grandmother lived to a ripe old age and I regret not having talked to her about the old days, but you don’t when you’re young.  My strongest memory of the shop was that back in the fifties in order to pay the money and bill were sent to a central accounts department using a vacuum tube transfer system like the one described here https://www.silversurfers.com/nostalgia/cash-carrying-systems-in-department-stores/. This used to fascinate me as a little child as otherwise shopping in the ladies dress section of a department store was the height of tedium.  Sorry I don’t have any photographs.