Author Topic: SIGRIST/SEGREST/SIEGRIST family history  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Jaci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SIGRIST/SEGREST/SIEGRIST family history
« on: Monday 13 November 06 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi... I'm looking for info on the SIGRIST (or varies spellings) family history. I can go back pretty far, but am stuck on a great grandfather (times 3 or 4 maybe) named PHILIP SIGRIST. I've surfed the internet and looked on numerous other websites. It's almost like he never exsisted.  Again, his name is Philip Sigrist.  He's orginally from Alsace Lorraine, France. He came to the US when he was very young with his parents... names???, brother John and sister, Emma. I think they moved to Ohio and then to MO. Philip and John married the WALTER sisters. (Louise and Mary Catherine, I think). I have more info, but not on me right now. ANY info on Philip and his parents would be GREAT! thanks in advance!

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SIGRIST/SEGREST/SIEGRIST family history
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 06 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I did find a Philip Sigrist in Rochester, Andrew County, Missouri in the 1880 census. I am not sure when he was born, but this age fits my ggg grandfather who came from Alsace, so there you go.

Anyway, he is 46, married to Mary L., 42, born in Ohio, parents born in Russia and Baden. He is a wagon maker and "J.H." (?).

Their children are Rufus E., 18, Charles C., 16, and Cora E, 8, and they were all born in Missouri. I will have a bit more of a look around.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 06 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I have them in the same town in 1870, with John and Catherine living next door to them.

In Philip's household, they also have an Emma, who is 13 and born in Missouri, along with Rufus, 10, Charlie, 6, and a Willie, 9 months.

John J 37, Catherine is 35, and they have a son John L, 10. John Sr. is a farmer.

I did find John in the 1880 also, with Catherine, John L., 20, and Louisa F, 22, born Indiana, John L's wife. In other census records, I found her listed as Frances also. Very confusing.

In 1900, I have John and Catherine with Clara, 16, still in Missouri.

If I had to guess, Philip and Mary died between 1880 and 1900 (no 1890 census). But their children are still around. I did find Rufus and Charley.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Kath
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin

Offline msjaci1977

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 07 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath! It's Jaci... the original author of this post. I've changed my e-mail address!
  I've been able to find out more info about Philip's wife's family. Their father was David C. Walters. He married Rachel/Regina Schurr. Mary and Catherine are 2 of 13 children. I have info on all of the kids and a few of David and Rachel's grandkids. Philip and John J. Sigrist were brothers and they both turned around and married Mary and Catherine! From the info I have, David and Rachel are buried in an Andrew County cemetary. I think Philip is also buried there.
  I am from Southwest Missouri and my mom's family lived in Northern MO... right in Andrew County and I have some other family there! If you know any info on the Walters, please share! BTW, are we related?

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 December 07 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Not related, just did a lookup on Ancestry for you. I no longer have Ancestry at the moment (a little break) so can't look anything else up.

Kath