Author Topic: It's not on Gro index, but i have the birth date?  (Read 4080 times)

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
It's not on Gro index, but i have the birth date?
« on: Tuesday 14 November 06 04:30 GMT (UK) »
What do i do if I have looked on Gro index & unable to find birth details?
I have a Harry/Henry Lansdowne born 25th October 1880, Rhondda Valley. South Wales.
(info obtained from WW1  enlistment).
Thanks
Anne.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: It's not on Gro index, but i have the birth date?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you been able to confirm the year of birth through any census?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 08:48 GMT (UK) »
The only Henry Lansdown I can see in 1891 Wales Census is on RG12 Piece 4425 Folio 96 Page 8. Gives age as 13 (approx birth of 1878) with a father John aged 54 and siblings John, Katherine, William and Albert. Gives birth place as Ystrad.
Looking at Freebmd there is a birth registration for Dec 1877 qtr in Pontypridd for a Henry Lansdown 11a 415.

Could the 1880 date be incorrect?
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who put his age up for WWI and down for WWII (He was found out in WWII & discharged shortly thereafter).

I don't know the initial age limit for recruits for WWI but perhaps he wanted to appear younger than he was - I would think not impossible - that he gave the correct date but incorrect year.

Trish

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I have Harry /Henry Lansdowne in these years: Nov 1908 age 29 yrs.(1879)(marriage)
                                                                            Feb 1915 age 34 yrs.((1881)(child)
                                                                            June & Oct 1916 age 35 yrs.(1881)(WW1)
                                                                            May 1921 age 40 yrs.(1881)(WW1)
                                                                            July 1944 age 66 yrs.(1878)(death)

I am fairly certain that the 1881 census in  Ystrad is the correct family, but it shows a Harry age 3, then the 1891 census shows a  Henry age 13, then the 1901 shows  a Henry age 23.
I looked at the Freebmd but thought 1877 was too early.
His parents are listed as John Lansdowne (miner) & Jane Tanner on his death certificate.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi AJ

Nothing like having family members who change their age - I have just found one who aged 14 years between 1881 and 1891 - very confusing.

Thought I would mention  - a death in July 1944 with an age 66 would give a birth between Jul 1877 and Jul 1878, so the Dec 1877 is possible based on death information (obviously different to every other age given).

Trish

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 13:34 GMT (UK) »
the Henry noted in the census returns is the son of John and Jane.
An age of 3 in 1881 would give a birth around 1877/1878 as census taken around end of March beginning of April depending on year of census.
So the 1877 birth looks possible.
You could try writing to the local registrar asking for the certificate if it matches the son of John and Jane.
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs