Author Topic: ROBERTS Grandfather of London???  (Read 10291 times)

Offline bleary2eyes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTS Grandfather of London???
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 February 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Well, Alice and William (my grandfather) were registered at birth as STAINES and so I believe Jenny was too.  Their mother Emma Roberts (nee Harvey) was married but her husband had scarpered in 1888 just around the birthtime of their 3rd legitimate child.   
Within months she was living with this William STAINES b.1861/2,  he was fond of the drink and couldn't hold down a job for long so they fell on hard times, then he too deserted her only this time she had 6 children.  I suppose it was to save face and embarrassment that she called them all by the Roberts name.
I know Emma Roberts married again in early 1900's - after she discovered her legal husband had died and she became Emma Hunnable - married to George Hunnable.  I think they both died during the 1940's???
Doon School - a researcher I hired got me some info from the orphanage archives which showed that Jenny Roberts b. 1895 was sent from the orphanage into the care of a man at Doon's School in Devon.  The paper was badly damaged so part of the address was missing but it was in Oct 1910.  Something must have gone wrong because they sent her back to the orphanage about 3 months later in early 1911 - after the census.   I think I need to check 1911 for Jenny Roberts (this WAS her real name, though she was known within in family as Ginnie) to see if she's anywhere in Devon during the 1911 census.
REID, BRAWN, DELANEY, ROBERTS, STAINES, TURNER, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, JONES, SMITH, LUCAS, McCAUGHAN, NOLAN, BRENNAN

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 February 10 23:32 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the 1911 for you.  I looked for Jenny +  variants, Ginnie, & Jane and can find none in Devon.  She may have gone back to London.  There was one as a servant there.
Sue
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bleary2eyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 February 10 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Sue, thank you for looking, that was very good of you.  This is what confuses me, the  Leytonstone Children’s Home: Creed Register ( X107/084) shows the following:-  abbreviations = A admitted, B born, F admitted from, I informant, D discharged

Jenny Roberts
A: to orphanage 23 Jun 1900
B: 1895
F: Street
I: Illegitimate

D: To Eastern Hospital, Homerton, 6 Mar 1906 (Diphtheria)

A: 7 May 1906
I: Readmitted to orphanage

D: to Doons School c/o Mr Horn, (address was illegible) Devon, 20 Oct 1909

A: 16 Feb 1910
F: Readmitted to orphanage
I: Illegitimate, Deserted. Brother William, Sailors Home, Liverpool (the informant was my grandfather, her older brother)
D: To service c/o Mrs Moore, “Claremont”, Stanley Park Road, Wallington 11 Jun 1910

I've checked the 1911 census for that address but Jenny is NOT there, the only servant mentioned is Fanny Marchant.

I believe Jenny married twice and stayed in/around Essex/Middx areas. One of her husbands had/or worked in a shoe repairs/cobblers shop (West Drayton area) and could have been Tom Jones? She had 2 children to her first hubby = David & Doreen (possibly Jones) and Doreen was in the Fire Brigade! I have this information from an older relative on that side of the family down in Essex.

Also, she said that Jenny (known as Ginnie) had physic abilities and was a medium!!
REID, BRAWN, DELANEY, ROBERTS, STAINES, TURNER, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, JONES, SMITH, LUCAS, McCAUGHAN, NOLAN, BRENNAN

Offline bleary2eyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 February 10 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I've tried googling Doon(s) School in Devon but can't find anything on this but there was a Dunn's School in Crediton (wherever that is) in 1901 census.  This school later became part of Crediton Grammar School and was founded by Samuel Dunn in 1790's.

As I know nothing of that part of the country I have no idea where Credition actually is nor if this is the school in question where Jenny Roberts was sent.

The researcher who got me the above information (previous post) wrote that the address was illegible due to the state of the actual records.

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 February 10 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Wallington is in Surrey, so the one I found as a servant in London, could be her.  It is not a million miles away.

Here you go:
1911  Servant to Joseph Vandy & family
Jenny Roberts Servant Single  18 1893 
305 Victoria Park Road S Hackney London

Crediton is Devon.  So Dunn/Doon school, could be one of the same.

There was a Horn family in Crediton in 1911.
They lived at 1 Pitt Cottages Crediton Devon

I googled Pitt cottages Crediton and it came up with the village of Nymet Rowland, which is precisely where Dunn School is!!  I think that's it then.

You might be able to contact Dunn School and see if they hold records still for that period of time.

Sue

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 February 10 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hold on.  I take that back at the moment.  Think my goolgle search for Dunn school did not show the correct village.  I'll get back to you.

Sue

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 February 10 10:53 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though the school was in Bowden Hill Crediton.  That is in the heart of Crediton, which is too far from Nymet Rowland. 
Blow!!

Sue

Offline bleary2eyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 February 10 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Is Crediton in Devon? 
When you say 'blow' do you mean it's not right?

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 February 10 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Crediton is in Devon.
There were a Horn family who lived not too far by today's standards from Crediton, but probably too far in terms of 1909.
I read just now that Dunn school was in Bowden Hill, but when I looked on the 1911 census, not one of the houses was a school.
AaaaHHH!

I'm hooked here.  Will get back to you.

Sue