Author Topic: ROBERTS Grandfather of London???  (Read 10276 times)

Offline bleary2eyes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTS Grandfather of London???
« Reply #45 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Am going to have to sign out for a while now Sue but, once again, thank you very much for your much appreciated help.   :)  kind regards, Maureen
REID, BRAWN, DELANEY, ROBERTS, STAINES, TURNER, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, JONES, SMITH, LUCAS, McCAUGHAN, NOLAN, BRENNAN

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Only FindMyPast have the 1911 census.  You can use your credits for the 1911, but they are 10 credits for a transcription & 30 credits to view the original.  I have a subscription to the 1911, so can view them all.
Ancestry have 1841-1901 census's.

Going back to the birth entry - that is the ONLY one that fits for the name and place of birth at the time.  I would suggest that she was registered as Jane but went by the pet name of Janie/Jennie/Jenny/Jinnie/Ginnie.  The only way to be sure, would be to send for it.  I would be very surprised if it wasn't her.

Sue
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I just looked on Google Books for Dunn School.  It was in Union Road Crediton.  That didn't exist in 1911, but I also found it started in Bowden Hill, moved to behind 35 High Street, (which now incorporates Union Road) and then moved back to Bowden Hill.
I know this does not help much, but it does mean it is right in the centre of Crediton.
Still cannot find a Doon School in the UK(!) so think it has to be Dunn school.
Sue
Gotta go out now

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I thought - what the hell!  And emailed the Crediton Library.

This is their reply:

Your email was sent to the Customer Service Centre of Devon County Council and as you can see they forwarded it on to Devon Record Office which is the county record office which deals with historic questions and holds some records of schools.

I noted that Dunn's School was a small endowed or foundation school for boys established in 1794 in Crediton, and with links to the Church of England.  We don't appear to hold any records of the school at our office.  There is a short paragraph describing it, under the parish of Crediton,  in each of the commercial directories for Devonshire.  The description in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850  is on-line on the Genuki Website at http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Crediton/Crediton1850.html.   
I checked the Kelly's Directories for 1902,1910 and 1919, and found that it disappeared from the Kelly's directory between 1910 and 1919.
In the years 1902 and 1910 the headmaster was Edmund Tompkins. 
Robert Bovett's book "Historical Notes on Devon Schools" published by Devon County Council in 1989, p. 82, states that the school was discontinued shortly after 1914.  It also states that the school was in Bowden Hill premises from 1814 - these premises had formerly been occupied by the 'English School'.   The school was in Union Street from 1886, and the building was later to house the Crediton Rural District Council offices.  Of course Rural and Urban District Councils were replaced in 1974 by District Councils [in this case, Mid-Devon District Council, I think] covering larger areas, so I don't know what happened to the Union Street building after 1974.

So it seems that the school still existed in 1909.  I can now see why it couldn't be found on the 1911 census..  I think that you will never know whether this is where Jenny went, but as we cannot find Doon school, would assume that it is.

Hope this is useful.

Sue

Offline Talie

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 21 February 10 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I think we might be related. I hadn't done to much searching into my Roberts family untill today, I started googing names and came across loads of questions which seem to match up with what I have on my family, so I had to sign up to send some messages!  ;D

My great great grandfather is Charles Roberts born in Bethnal Green, 1884. My Charles married Ann Elizabeth Whayman, his mother was Emma Harvey (1864) and father was Charles Roberts (1867). From what I found Charles senior disapeared and Emma got together with William Staines.

I'll proberly lose this website soon after posting this..  :P
If it's possible could you PM me?  It seems I can't post my email address on here or anything incase I cause any problems.  :o

Hope we have a connection.
Lindstrom, Spall, Foot, Messenger, Cutts, Farey, Roberts, Nicholls, Bannister, Oakenfull, Whayman, Harvey, Woodfield, Collins, West Ham, Sweden, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Mile End, Essex, Epping, Bethnal Green

Offline bleary2eyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I think we might be related. I hadn't done to much searching into my Roberts family untill today, I started googing names and came across loads of questions which seem to match up with what I have on my family, so I had to sign up to send some messages!  ;D

My great great grandfather is Charles Roberts born in Bethnal Green, 1884. My Charles married Ann Elizabeth Whayman, his mother was Emma Harvey (1864) and father was Charles Roberts (1867). From what I found Charles senior disapeared and Emma got together with William Staines.

I'll proberly lose this website soon after posting this..  :P
If it's possible could you PM me?  It seems I can't post my email address on here or anything incase I cause any problems.  :o

Hope we have a connection. 

Hi, I am sending you a pm so we cand swap information.
REID, BRAWN, DELANEY, ROBERTS, STAINES, TURNER, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, JONES, SMITH, LUCAS, McCAUGHAN, NOLAN, BRENNAN

Offline dianat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 25 June 10 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am also researching my Roberts ancestors of Bethnal Green, London.  MJy gggrandparents were John Roberts born in 1801 in Shoreditch, London and Jane Orange born in 1808.  They had several children all born in Bethnal Green. They were Fishmongers and then Publicans.
If you think there might be a connection, please leave a message.  Thank you
Best wishes
Dianat
Roberts Bethnal Green, London
Robinson Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Warner Essex
Brown
Hewlett
Johnson
Orange - Bethnal Green
Hunwick