Author Topic: place help please  (Read 1257 times)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
place help please
« on: Tuesday 14 November 06 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Please we have serious problems with decyphering a birth place for a Robert Sims on 1901 census

we think it says Denby Gomersal

would this make sense at all

he is lodging with his future wife mable Levell in Sussex

we know his father is George sims a Blacksmith but we are at a loss to find his birth record.

I found who I think is the right family on previous census George and Jane Sim/s and they did have a Robert William born yorkshire some census say Birstall another says drighlington or something similar.  I know these latter 2 places are close to each other but what about the Denby bit

Roberts age varies a lot on different records it could be anything from about 1873 - 1879  tho most likely 1875/6

am desperate for help here

Teresa

Marriage cert says he is Robert William Sims father George james Sims a Blacksmith this was in 1903 in hailsham Sussex where he was living in 1901

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
Re: place help please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I usually use Genuki for place names -

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Where/index.html

There's a "Gomersal", "Drilington" in the Birstall parish -

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Birstall/index.html

HTH

~ Claire
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks

I have just found the birth record for a robert william sim mar 1876  dewsbury  reg district

I am now suspecting what we thought said Denby is possible short or abbrev for Dewsbury

possibly clutching at straws but needs must

Teresa

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 14:00 GMT (UK) »
If you follow the link for Dewsbury reg district on the BMD register for your Robert William Sim 1876 you will find that Birstall came under the Dewsbury Parish, so its more than likely him and it would be a good idea to send for the certificate.
Regards IOW Maiden
All Lock/e's Isle of Wight
Hobbs, Brown, Jacobs and Payne,Isle of Wight
Haynes,Sharp,Moisey,Wood,Blackburn and Earnshaw in West Yorkshire
Denham and Claughton Leeds
Hanmer in Ruabon and Llansilin Wales,St Martins Shropshire,Durham,South and West Yorkshire.
Cox and Holmes Birmingham

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 06 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Teresa,

This is a difficult part of the county to pin down. Between 1837 and 1938 the civil registration district was Dewsbury, sub-district Gomersal. In 1939 Gomersal was transferred into the Spen Valley District, and after 1974 this became Spenborough. The registers are now divided between the Dewsbury and Leeds districts, so the register you want might not be in Dewsbury.

As far as baptisms go, Gomersal was in the parish of Birstall, nothing to do with Dewsbury. (All above information from Genuki).

I notice that your man is on the 1881 census (Familysearch) as being born in Birstal (sic) but living in Steyning, Sussex. I have seen before that the further away the birthplace is from the census point, the more likely a bigger place is to be given as the birthplace. In other words, you suspect the enumerator had heard of Birstall even if he couldn't spell it, but not Gomersal.

Jon
Armitage-Smith Meanwood Leeds
Whitehead-Holroyd Farnley/Wortley/Armley Leeds

Census information is Crown Copyright, transcribed by me.

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 November 06 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone

we have sent for the cert lets hope its him lol

Teresa