Author Topic: John KELLY - compositor  (Read 3028 times)

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John KELLY - compositor
« on: Tuesday 14 November 06 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Hoping for some advice.  I'm trying to trace where in Ireland my great grandfather, John Joseph KELLY came from. (I know, with a name like KELLY it's like trying to find the proverbial needle in the haystack.)

John was born in 1936/7 in Ireland and married Mary MULHOLLAND (also born Ireland) in 1937.  The first sign of them was in Liverpool in 1868 when their first daughter was born there.  I have searched the marriage records year by year for England, with no success,  from 1854 to 1871, when they first appear on a Liverpool census.

I have now come to the conclusion that John and Mary married in Ireland.

John's occupation was a compositor.  I wonder would anyone have any idea whether he would be more likely to have been working his trade in one of the major cities of Ireland - in which case should I be looking for his marriage in Dublin, Cork etc. -  or might he have worked in a smaller town/rural area?

Sorry to have been so long-winded about it. Any suggestions gratefully received!
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
CRANE; PLEAVIN; SUMNER;DUTTON Cheshire; HEWITT (Cheshire & Liverpool);
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
MCVEY; MELLOR in Liverpool PRICE(Denbighshire & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John KELLY - compositor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about that -  date should read 1836 and 1837 - senior moment  :o
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Offline nicolas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 February 07 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kelly,

Unfortunately, I haven't got anything on your compositor, but I noticed that you have Liverpool and Irish LAPPINs among your surnames that you are searching for. My LAPPINs were in Liverpool and Monaghan in Ireland. Do you have any of yours linked to Monaghan / Castelshane/ Alkill/ Tehallen????

thank you in advance for any information you may be able to give me on this.

yours hopefully

nick.

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 February 07 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

The only info I have on my LAPPIN branch is about my ggg grandmother, Bridget LAPPIN who was born Dundalk, County Louth in 1813 and moved to Liverpool sometime before 1835.  Don't know if previous generations of LAPPINs hailed from other Irish counties, I'm afraid.

Best wishes
KELLY

Offline nicolas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kelly:

Thank you for your reply.

Where about in Liverpool did your Lappins live? Mine were in the Park Place area near the docks, Stanhope Street, Upper Mann Street etc.

Best wishes

nick.

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

Bridget was living in Henderson Street & Upper Henderson street, Toxteth with husband Edward McVey on the 1841 & 1851 census.  She had died before the 1861 census took place.

Best wishes
Dorothy

Offline nicolas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear Dorothy,

No links then. Mine didn't arrive in Toxteth until the 1890s.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Good luck with your searching!!

nick wignall
madrid, spain

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

Good luck with your research also.  :) 

Dorothy