Author Topic: What is a puddler  (Read 26935 times)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is a puddler
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I think there may be a link. To "puddle" clay, is to beat it and knock out all the air, so that it is fit for use. If clay has air in it, pots will explode in the kiln, canals will leak and - actually I don't know for certain what happens in a foundry - but I suspect the bricks that line the kiln will explode.

So I think your man was a clay expert, and moved from place to place as technology developed and we moved into the 20th century.

How interesting!  :D

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi meles

I tracked him down on the 1881 census & he was described as "Puddler of Iron". At that time he was living in Biddulph, Staffordshire.  He gave his children what I thought were unusual names:

Mahalah (my great gran)
Leda
Eber

I've never come across these names before.

Jayson

Well Jayson has found that it says that he is a 'puddler of iron' so...........

Re names - Jayson, I have a Mahalah. They might be methodists or other non-conformists.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 November 06 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget (cousin-in-law)

Methodists! How interesting! I'm hoping that Israel or his family had something to do with the Wegdwood factory at Etruria where it was stated on the census that Israel had been born.

Thank you also to everybody else who has contributed to my post.  It's been a great help.

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 November 06 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Mahalah is another form of the Hebrew Mahali and means "Tenderness".

Leda is taken from Greek mythology as in Leda and the swan. Leda was the Queen of Sparta.

Eber is a tricky one as the nearest that I can find is that it could be from the Germanic name Eberhard.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 November 06 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Most certainly an iron worker. A puddler used to stir the molton pig iron (the first product of the iron making process) until as the it turned into wrought iron. there were many puddlers in the Sheffield area - and presumably many othe steel making centres.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 November 06 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi old rowley/dennford

Very many thanks for this.  I was surprised to find such lovely, unusual names in my family tree.  I really regret that I didn't take the opportunity to ask my gran about her family.  I suppose this is quite a common theme! and a lesson to us all!

Jayson

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 December 06 14:37 GMT (UK) »
This is a piece I wrote about my ancestor.  I think it says it all!:

John (Evans) was a puddler in one of the greatest iron works in the world - Dowlais. By 1845 there were over 7,000 people employed in the Dowlais Works alone and 18 furnaces in blast producing a staggering amount of iron rails.  They received a good wage of 35 shillings per week, the top wage being that of the  rollers, £2 per week, whilst colliers in comparison received 25 shillings a week.

The puddling process or the “Welsh Method” as it was known as known in honour of its Cyfarthfa        inventor, was a process whereby wrought iron, as opposed cast iron, could be produced.

“The puddling furnace made of iron plates and lined with firebricks, had two chambers. At one end was a firebox in which barrow-loads of coal were fiercely burning, the flames being carried by a draught into the second chamber [at 1500°C to 1800°C] which contained the charge of metal to be converted into wrought iron. After melting, the bath of molten metal began to 'boil', the carbon and impurities (phos[phorous, silica and carbon) being oxidised by the flame. After some time the pure iron began to form flakes [wrought iron has a higher melting point than pig iron] and the work of the puddler was to keep the bath in motion with his 'rabble' [iron pole], and gradually collect the 'sticky' flakes into three large balls, much as you make a snowball (weighing up to 300 lbs each) . When this was done the furnace door was opened, and the iron withdrawn in the form of white hot soft lumps dripping with molten cinder. These were carried to the shingling hammer and quickly reduced to short oblong blocks called 'blooms'. Needless to say this made the sparks fly [hot slag being force out of the iron by the hammering], and the shinglers were protected by armour-like leggings, a strong leather apron, and a gauze visor over their eyes, though strangely enough they always had bare arms! Nor would the puddlers protect their eyes from the glare with blue glass [blue for coal, oil or gas flames & green for electric arcs] as do furnace men today [1950]. The puddlers worked in trousers and a thick woolen vest open at the neck, but it was a hot, fatiguing job, and you could tell a furnace-man by his more than 'sunburnt' complexion. Yet they were a fine healthy lot of men….”

This was extremely dangerous work and many puddlers were maimed by the molten metal being spat out onto their legs and feet.  Many puddlers were dead by the age of 50 because of the nature of the job – working close to the high heat and  risking their lives and health daily.  The job required great physical strength and also the mental knowledge to know when the iron was ready.  Because of their skills they were quite highly paid.
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 December 06 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mart

Well, this certainly does cover the subject quite extensively.  It's really a very fascinating piece and many thanks for posting it.  This brings it all to life very vividly.  I never expected the job to have been so arduous.  I take my hat off to my ancestor, Isreal Rowley, who, it would seem, was one of the lucky ones as he reached his old age.

Jayson

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 December 06 19:18 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure.  I've been family historying for over 30 years and the history of the places and occupations certainly puts meat onto bones that would otherwise be very bare. 
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).