Author Topic: "Thompson & Smith" - Ontario Info Needed.  (Read 4045 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Thompson & Smith" - Ontario Info Needed.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 November 06 05:01 GMT (UK) »
I also noted that there were 5 boys and 5 girls in the family...There is one name missing for a daughter. Could I also ask...Is this marriage of James below known to be fact?
eg...is it your family line and so you know the history, or else you have a marriage cert if not?

In 1875 Robert moved west by train with his wife and children (5 boys and 5 girls) to San Francisco, USA. They then took a ship to Victoria, B.C. Canada and finally a river steamer to Chilliwack, B.C. Canada.
Robert's son James shortly afterwards moved back to Victoria, B.C and married Annie M. Slugget from Brentwood Bay, Saanich Peninsula, Victoria, B.C.
James changed the name to (Thomson) dropping the (P) and now there are over 5 generations of (Thomson's) living on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada.quote]
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 November 06 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Would they have some information for you in Chilliwack?
http://chilliwack.museum.bc.ca/index/index.htm

If Elizabeth died in 1936 I can see where someone may have made a mistake that she was born later , but not unusual for a lady to live to 101)...If there is death information for her it would help solve the mystery of her age, at least. ( Are you 100% sure that the death in 1906 in Chilliwack, age 79, isn't hers? ) You may have to seek out some oblits to help straighten this out......

I'm afraid that I can't confirm this is your family, either, but I think I have found all I can for now, and there seems to be no more information available in Ontario at this time...have you found the family on the 1901, now...to help with birth dates and also to approximate a new marriage date?

You can wait until the 1911 is transcribed, or volunteer to do some of the Westminster, Chilliwack area of the census...lots to do, yet...I did take a peek at some of the untranscribed and I can see why no one is rushing in to do them, as some are indecipherable...

J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 November 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I have Elizabeth as dieing July 8, 1931 in Sardis, B.C. which basicly is Chilliwack, B.C.
She is buried at IOOF Cemetery in Chilliwack which come spring time I will drive out there and check head stones and see if her birth etc. is added on the stone.

The missing daughter is Hattie (Matilda).

The marriage of James came from a family member on my mother's side of the family. James died in Victoria, B.C. date unknown. He married in Victoria, B.C. on April 5, 1979.

If I can find a site to check marriage dates I may be able to confirm birth dates and spouses information. Except for James the others were married in New Westminister District, B.C.

Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the Bowell Funeral Records (New Westminster)?

http://www.nwheritage.org/heritagesite/genealogy/index.htm

There are lots of Thompson's and Smith's listed.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Great site, Janice....Looks as though the records are available even if not online...Guess we need to make a B.C. stand-alone on the resources board to add this to ?  ;D  J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I see there are several Hattie's in the vital stats...but  unless she was born post 1881, which is of course possible ( but you say all came from Ontario)
she was out of the house and perhaps married on the 1881...Have you looked through the 1881 for the others?  There's a Harriet Chapman 12 dwellings down from the main family...but they would have had to have come later if this is she, as they have a babe born in Ontario...Dig in to the censuses, and see what you can find...
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the marriage for daughter...Elizabeth Thompson ?  J.J.

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Robert & Elizabeth's daughter Elizabeth Sarah Thompson married James Munroe on October 9, 1877 in New Westminister District. 
She died at child birth on December 29, 1884 in Chilliwack, B.C.

I have Hattie married to John Harold Cameron on June 29, 1916 in Chilliwack, B.C.  She died October 26, 1946 in Chilliwack, B.C.

I will check out that site Janice .... thanks.
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I saw Elizabeth on the 1881 as Munroe...Hattie, or as she is now known...Matilda doesn't show up anywhere...as single or married...J.J.