Author Topic: Ramsden family of Halifax  (Read 1802 times)

Offline DollyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ramsden family of Halifax
« on: Wednesday 15 November 06 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I have come across Elizabeth, wife of John Ramsden.  John died and in 1749 Elizabeth married Joseph Haigh, but she drew up a fairly tight prenuptial agreement and they immediately lived apart.  She seems to have been quite a character - a local poet seemed to have had an almost libellous feud with her and called her the Queen at the Booth [the Ramsdens lived at a house called Booth in Rishworth near Halifax].  Does anyone - possibly a member of the Ramsden family - know anything more about Elizabeth?

Dolly

Offline Gordon Dee.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsden family of Halifax
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dolly,
Have you more details of your RAMSDEN family from Rishworth ?   
I have Henry DYSON (8x gt.g/father) married a Mary RAMSDEN, both of Rishworth - they were early Quakers, and married 21st of 1st month, 1660/61 at Shibden Hall, Halifax.   
Mary was the dau. of  a Henry RAMSDEN of Rishworth.

I also have Richard RAMSDEN married to Mary DYSON both of Halifax, 10 Dec 1705 (plus 5 children) - I don't know why, but they married by License, at St. Martin's - York.

Gordon.
Born near Halifax, now in Manchester, UK

Offline DollyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 06 17:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a lot of stuff about the Ramsden family of Booth, Rishworth in one of the Transactions of the Halifax Antiquarian Society.  That's where I came across Elizabeth and her 2 husbands.  Her first husband was a John Ramsden of Booth.  I'm not so much interested in the Ramsden family as in Elizabeth and why she and her second husband, Joseph, lived apart.

In the Transactions, there is a mention of your Henry Dyson and Mary daughter of Henry Ramsden of Booth, Rishworth.

I suppose putting Ramsden in the subject line was a bit misleading, but I don't know Elizabeth's maiden name.

Dolly.

Offline Gordon Dee.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 06 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Dolly.
I don't know if I can help, but if John died in 1749, and Elizabeth became a widow, she must have married John before 1749.
Looking in my IGI, before 1749, I can only see the following possible marriages to a John RAMSDEN.
3 Jul 1738, at Elland, to Elizabeth FARRAR.
8 Aug 1733, at Illingworth, to Elizabeth NEWTON.
28 Nov 1723 at Elland, to Elizabeth SMITH, although this one seems a little too early.
So, perhaps Elizabeth FARRAR or NEWTON, but Rishworth residents, usually married at Elland.

Gordon.

Offline DollyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 06 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the trouble, Gordon.  I'll have a look around for ladies with those names and see what comes up.

Dolly