Author Topic: Forfar Death  (Read 2183 times)

Offline ore-dragon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Forfar Death
« on: Wednesday 15 November 06 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

My 3xGreat Grandfather William Rae was born in Forfar c1814.  He spent 17 year in the Army (92nd Reg of foot) before being dischared at the age of 34.  He married Elizabeth Brown in Stirling in 1847 and had two children William (b1850) and Alexander (b1852) both born in Forfar.  I have found him on the 1851 Census living in Forfar and working as a hand loom weaver.  In 1861 Elizabeth is living in Stirling and is widowed.  I have tried Scotland People to find William's death, but to no avail.  I think he may have died prior to 1855.

Does anyone know where there may be a Parish Record of his death/burial?

The IGI has a record of Williams birth in 1850, but not of Alexanders in 1852.

I would be grateful for any information.

Regards
Ore Dragon

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Forfar Death
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 06 21:07 GMT (UK) »
You  could try emailing

Burialgrounds[at]angus.gov.uk

This the cemeteries department of Angus council. They have burial records for forfar from approx.1856 they may be able to help. The only problem is that the records are not in surname order, but date order so they may be reluctant to search without an approximate date.

But it's worth a try, unfortunately death records are very hit & miss and depended on the ministers record keeping and whether they were active members of the church. Have you checked out the pre 1855 gravestone index? This is sometimes the only record there will be of a death/burial and obviously whether there was a stone or not would be reliant on how financially well off they were.

Jean :)

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline ore-dragon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 06 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jean, I will give it a try.  William Rae was alive in 1851 living in Teauchat Crofts, Forfar working as a hand loom weaver.  He was also a Chealsea Pensioner having left the Army in 1849.  I would suspect that he was not well off. He left a widow and two sons.  His Army record seems to suggest that he liked a beer or four, so I think a headstone is unlikely.

Ore Dragon

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Can't fault him for liking a tipple!!

Jean ;)
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 00:13 GMT (UK) »
He was also a Chealsea Pensioner having left the Army in 1849. 

Have a look at the National Archives at Kew (London) http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm web site - I believe that some records of Chelsea Pensioners have survived, and if so, and they have your William Rae's record, it will surely tell you when he died as they would have made a note of that. They won't do research for you - you'll need to get someone to look on your behalf.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ore-dragon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian,

I have obtained his discharge papers from The National Archive and it did cross my mind that his Chealsea Pension would stop at his death.  His pension (according to the 1851 Census) was 6d.

I hope at some point to visit TNA to look this up.  I have his regiment details and his service number and I hope at the same time to look up the regimental diaries, to see if one of his 6 court martials warrented a mention and perhapes get a feel to what his Army life was like, particularly as he was posted to the West Indies where many of his comrades died of disease.

Thanks once again,

Ore Dragon