Author Topic: Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 1820's? COMPLETED  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
Have searched vainly for a marriage some time shortly before 1825 in London between a Robert CARTER and an Elizabeth (surname as yet unknown).  Their first child was born c.1825/6 according to various Censuses.
Is there a record of any such match on Boyd's or Pallot's marriage indexes?
Sorry there's not much to go on...
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 1820's?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith
There is nothing that fits on Pallot's.
Sorry.
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 1820's?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Barbara,
Thanks so much for keeping an eye open for me yet again!  I'm actually going down to London for the day this Friday to see whether anything of The Minories that the CARTER's of the wholesale furniture and upholstery firm of the 19thC still remains.  I fear not, but will take in The Guildhall Library, and possibly Holborn Probate Registry; if time, too, the Family Records Centre (always feel very much at home there) or The Metropolitan Archives across the way.
I used to go so very often, but hardly at all now; so it's a real treat - miles and miles from The S.W.Peninsular for you now, of course...
PM me if you can think of a quick look-up!
Regards,
keith

Offline Elleray Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alice Gornall (1909 - 1973)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

I've looked on Boyd's and can't see a match - sorry  :(

Karen
Elleray (Cumberland), Wren (Keswick), Parker (L'Pool and Cheshire), Bray (Cheshire), Gornall (Lancashire), Smithies (L'Pool), Rainford (West Kirby), Pinches (Shropshire and Wirral), Wilson, Walton and Merrick (Haddenham, Bucks)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kieth,
             on the IGI,there is a marriage 1827, Finsbury to an Elizabeth Buttery!!!
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Karen and Oonagh,
Thanks very much for looking at Boyd's and on the IGI respectively - I'd wondered about that 1827 marriage, but it just seems a little too late if they started their family in 1825 or so...
Someone else has PM-ed me with an 06-01-1821 marriage for a Robert CARTER and an Elizabeth STAREY.  Not sure where this took place, and I think it comes from the Society of Genealogists' English/British Origins site.
keith
NB I've waited nearly 6 weeks now to receive a copy of Robert CARTER's will of 1870 from York, which will perhaps give clues to his wife's family name - she outlived him by 15 years or so - and in my impatience I'm considering dropping into the Holborn probate place to order it there and then (takes up to an hour to order and receive a copy).  Absolutely no guarantee that it'll provide the vital details, but worth a try, as the names of the spouse's family sometimes get a mention...

Offline Elleray Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alice Gornall (1909 - 1973)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 November 06 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

The Robert Carter/Elizabeth Starey record is found in the Marriage Licence Allegations Index - Faculty Office (1701-1850).

I wondered if you had been able to find any baptism records for their children that may help to pinpoint you to a particular area in London - maybe the Parish records could help? I had a similar scenario recently and eventually found that the couple had had a child who had died before the census and thus my estimated time of the marriage was incorrect......the baptism and then marriage records proved it!

Good Luck (I've also had a similar wait for a will, it's so frustrating!).

Karen
Elleray (Cumberland), Wren (Keswick), Parker (L'Pool and Cheshire), Bray (Cheshire), Gornall (Lancashire), Smithies (L'Pool), Rainford (West Kirby), Pinches (Shropshire and Wirral), Wilson, Walton and Merrick (Haddenham, Bucks)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 November 06 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Karen,
Yes, that's the marriage that my attention has been drawn towards.  And the various Censuses contradict one another (as they often infuriatingly do!) re the birthplaces of the children.  Robert CARTER, the apparently firstborn child appears one time as being born somewhere in London, then thereafter as being born in Kent.  Perhaps I'll have a little bit of a search through some of those Parish Records they have for the City of London in the Guildhall Library...
Regards again,
keith

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 November 06 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't exclude the possibility of child preceeding marriage, Keith - as I'm sure you haven't.
I have one who was born 4 years before the marriage.  I have verified that both parents are indeed the ones who married each other and are both the parents of the child, who survived to 70-odd years and is the informant on her mother's death cert.  I have no idea why it took them so long! 
This child was b.1897.  It was the 1901 census that clued me into this, and it took ages for me to actually find the birth, as the census had the birthplace garbled (no surprise there!).
I just had a new thought.  Perhaps the father went off to war etc (Boer?) before there was time for a marriage.  Sometimes, when soldiers etc leave, they don't even know they are going to be fathers!  After he got back, might not have seemed urgent;  also grandpa was quite ill, and died in the interim, which probably was a discouraging factor.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein