Author Topic: Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 1820's? COMPLETED  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 1820's?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
It's amazing how you can miss quite obvious things right under your nose, but I've had another look through that 1871 Robert CARTER will (with a calligraphy expert - friend of mine!), and the third codicil of 1870 mentions his brother William (b. 1797 according to the IGI), and his whereabouts as being "Melbourn (sic) in Victoria".
Because, by a very strange coincidence, Robert CARTER had been living in Melbourn, Cambs, and I'd been unable to decipher the word "Victoria" because of the almost illegible writing, I hadn't noticed this remarkable Australian connection before.
I've just had a look courtesy of my latest toy (subscribing now to Ancestry.co.uk) to see whether William and family were still in England in 1841, but without luck so far.  They may indeed already have sailed overseas by then.  Will now get onto the Emigrants to Australia section to see when they might have arrived there.
On the IGI, by the way, there's at least 7 baptisms to a this William and his wife Eliza., the identifying detail being the middle name of TIDMARSH in at least one case - Lydia TIDMARSH married Robert CARTER in 1786, the parents of Robert and William CARTER aforesaid...!
keith 

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 182
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Was Melbourne named after Melbourn I wonder? No after the prime minister at the time apparently according to

http://www.ripefruit.com/melbourne/history.htm

Have fun with your new toy - money well spent :D
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 1820's?
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Jan,
Yes it really is a splendid research tool, and I'll be asking for help much less often.  Shall miss the dialogues, though.
But what an amazing coincidence with the Melbourn/Melbourne twist.  Have no idea when to start looking at Australian immigration records, but I've posted now elsewhere on Rootschat and hopefully someone will give me a little shove in the right direction...
keith.
...and I think I shall send away for that document about a Robert CARTER obstructing the highway in Chigwell in 1829 - it might just be the right man, and provide a vital address or another clue in this treasure hunt!

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 182
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 16:48 GMT (UK) »

...and I think I shall send away for that document about a Robert CARTER obstructing the highway in Chigwell in 1829 - it might just be the right man, and provide a vital address or another clue in this treasure hunt!

Yes you must and keep us posted eventhough you can now do your own census burrowing - I've become very attached to your Carters :D
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge