Author Topic: Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 1820's? COMPLETED  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 1820's?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 November 06 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Loo,
Quite right with the possibility about the baptism/birth preceding the marriage, and I'm definitely keeping my options open.  This whole marriage/relationship resulted in rather a tragic outcome, as Elizabeth, Robert's wife, spent almost half her 80-plus years in a lunatic asylum, apart from the rest of the family - perhaps from soon after the birth of her last child.  This has been discussed on a thread I started some time ago on the Cambs boards.
So I'm not going to be surprised by whatever I turn up between the 1820's and the 1880's about this particular couple and their children.  From St Botolph without Aldgate to the Aylesford area of Kent, to Melbourn/Linton area of Cambs, the trail has so far been an exciting one!
keith

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 1820's?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 November 06 06:57 GMT (UK) »
I hope you find something useful in your jaunt to the big city!
(Did you try the Death Duty Register info?  I never have yet, but understand there can be more info there than a will sometimes.)
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 November 06 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Loo,
Doesn't time whizz by when you're on the family history scent!  Only managed to have a poke about in The Minories (pronounced with a short first "i", as in Minnie the Mouse, as opposed to a long "i" in the word Minority - didn't realise this before today.  And then spent the rest of the day in the Guildhall Library, poring over Watch Books, listing the names and addresses of citizens of Portsoken Ward (this included The Minories, Hounsditch, etc.) and the money they paid to an early form of policing or neighbourhood watch in their small area.
Robert CARTER was one of the 4-6 inhabitants of the area who signed their names and therefore took some kind of responsibility to make sure the money was collected on time.
Never got any further than this - what an excellent place the Guildhall Library is, by the way, plus it has the most stupendous Clock and Watch (chronometer meaning of the word) exhibition next door. 
keith

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 November 06 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Glad you had a good day Keith.
What is left of your ancestors' premises?
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 November 06 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Barbara,
There's now an enormous 13-storey office block with the address 15-16 Minories, called Latham House.  When I started taking photos for my records a security guard came out snapping at my heels, but when I explained the innocent reason behind my "espionage" he proudly told me that his own name was Mr Latham, coincidentally.  I was also horrified to learn from him that within the year the whole complex is being knocked down (it's only 30 years old and in good condition still) and a brand new building erected in its place.  Whatever is the world coming to?
Very little in the way of buildings that might have been there in 1881 when the CARTER's moved away (I discovered from studying the directories), a terrace of possibly 1890's houses/premises at the top end near St Botolph's Church, and the Docklands Railway slicing past down the far end...
keith

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 November 06 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Keith
I used to work near that part of London but I think I would get lost now.
Just wish I had started my reseach when I lived and worked there - it would have made it so much easier!
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 182
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 November 06 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith
Wasn't their last child born after civil registration or am I misrembering ??? - have been looking for your old thread on the Cambs board but can't locate it so maybe thinking of an entirely different family :D  Anyway if he was you could order his birth certificate which would give Elizabeth's maidenname?
There is another 1827 marriage on Pallots Robert Carter and Elizabeth McBean in Marylebone.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 November 06 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Janan,
Good thinking, Batwoman...!  Now why didn't I think of that.  Have actually looked for Joseph Walter CARTER's birth entry which was not an obvious one - some doubt re "Walker" or "Walter" as a middle name, and registration district an unexpected one.  I'd better see whether any of the other siblings were registered post-July 1837, too...
And thanks very much for throwing another possible marriage into the mix.
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Robert CARTER marriage to Elizabeth on Boyd's/ Pallot's early 182
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 November 06 15:39 GMT (UK) »

Have found the other thread now and am back burrowing in 1841 - a couple of possibles have popped up so will post them there. Mary might have squeezed in to civil reg as she was 24 in 1861 - fingers crossed :D
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge