Author Topic: Cremation Records  (Read 1901 times)

Offline kenelms

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cremation Records
« on: Wednesday 15 November 06 22:41 GMT (UK) »
In my searches I have not come across information on cremations and records for crematoriums such as Glyn Taff near Pontypridd. I thought some of my grandparents were buried like Penrhys,Ferndale,Lanwanno etc but I have failed to find anything. I also do not know when they died. Has anyone some helpful pointers. As it happens it is for William J Thomas b1869 and his wife Mary Thomas[Nee John] B 1869,both mentioned in my earlier request made a few days ago. 

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cremation Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken, have you tried Trealaw Cem?  Why do you think they are cremated? 

Do you have father of William, is it possibly James?  I think I have found possibles in Trealaw, which is one of the biggest cem nearest to Pontygwaith. 

EDIT
Here is the info anyway, may be no connection, but you can request internment record at Treorchy Library via email.  This will give address, next of kin etc.

Burial 21671 William John Thomas age 44 plot P1013 died 1912
Burial 27686 James Thomas age 74 plot P1013 died 1918
Burial 37379 Mary Thomas age 59 plot P1013 died 1928

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline kenelms

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 06 20:53 GMT (UK) »
The  burial information for Trealaw does  look very good.  I know that cremation started with Dr Price in the early 1900's. But I am still interested in cremation records etc. Thankyou for your great help.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 06 23:21 GMT (UK) »
As an example the Swansea Crematorium opened in 1956 - its just had its 50 year anniversary 'celebrated'. I'm not certain that there were many Welsh crematoria before this despite Dr Price (but I'm not sure). Swansea cremation records remain with the Swansea Council. I suspect that other local authorities also retain them, assuming they've not weeded them due to age.

Not certain that they would be readily available (e.g. not certain that you would be allowed to view attached medical certificates) but I am sure that the local authority would at least either search for a name for you (possibly for a fee) or would allow you to check the indexes yourself.

Index searches would usually give at least name, address, date of cremation. Original documents (if kept) would give next of kin information, age and address of deceased etc. I think records need to be kept for 30 years - after that its down to the Local authority and its storage space.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/