Author Topic: Barnsley Cemetery  (Read 4348 times)

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barnsley Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 February 07 14:53 GMT (UK) »
hi carol
yes the problem was solved barnsley cemeteries dept sent cass detailed maps of the part of the cemetery that i wanted with the plot marked. unfortunately there was no headstone but by working with the headstones that were around we managed to pinpoint where the grave should be.
thanks for offering carol
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Horn/Horne- Barnsley-Silkstone-Thurgoland
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline Carol22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 February 07 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Strangle enough mine were in the same part as yours, and had no headstones, we had to count from the ones that were marked. There were a lot of paupers in Barnsley in the 1800's

Carol

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 07 15:06 GMT (UK) »
hi carol
you might be right about there being a lot of paupers in the 1800's i also thought that maybe because of when the last person was buried, the grave just fell into disrepair and if you live local local you will know what barnsley council are like. but i must admit the cemetery itself does look nice and tidy and cared for more than it did a few years ago.
regards carol
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline Carol22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 February 07 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

you are so right about Barnsley Council, I think if we discussed their problems we would jam the web up.

I do live locally, and my ancestors were born in the centre of Barnsley, in and around Wood Street/Joseph Street. unfortunately they were a very poor lot one died in Sheffield Lunatic Asylum, another in Barnsley Workhouse, always said I came from 'good stock'.........

Carol

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 February 07 15:21 GMT (UK) »
hiya carol
i wonder if our ancestors might have been neighbours on my g/mothers side they lived in new st and heelis st. you never know we may be related a small world isn't it 
regards carol
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline Carol22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 February 07 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

You never know do you, My lot started in 1841 at Dawsons Wall, top of New Street,
Wood Street
Joseph Street
Wilson Street
Duke Street
Harry Terrace
Raywood Row
Dobie Street.

I have some photograpsh (from Barnsley Archive) of these areas in about 1900, so they would have been similar in the 1800's they look so poor and crowded and awful. I unfortunately have run out of relatives, their name is Simmons and the man who came from Bedford in 1840 to Barnsley have many children, but my G.Grandfather only had two children my Grandfather and a daughter, my Grandfathers children have all died out. and I cannot trace his daughter (my G. Aunt) I have her birth cert. and on the 1901 census aged 8 yrs. then nothing. I get fed up looking, have a rest, then off I go like a lunatic trying again, have been doing this for 6 yrs. tried advertising in the B. Chronicle, joined Barnsley fhs, found a cousin of my Fathers in Wakefield I never knew he had, so that was good. but this G. Aunt named Laura is ever elusive, her descendants probably run the post office in Worborough or something.

Carol

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 February 07 16:25 GMT (UK) »
hello carol
my main problem with my tree is that 3 of my ggg/grandfathers came from ireland. i have know idea when they came over to yorkshire infact i didn't know that i had any irish in me till i started doing the family tree. they were linen weavers and lived in heelis st, new st and copper st.
i was very fortunate that i knew some of my g/ants and uncles so found starting the family tree off no problem. i had a good contact last week it turned out that his g/father and my g/mother were brother and sister and as just sent me a photo with my g/grandparents and 5 of their children my g/mother was one of them.
good luck in finding your g/aunt i know at times it can be very frustrating but all we can do is keep trying
regards carol
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline Leura

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 March 24 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolanne, I found some old postings relating to Barnsley and note the Kenworthy name is one you are researching. My Grandfather was George White who was born in Barnsley in 1857 and my Grandmother was Sarah Ann Kenworthy born in Thurgoland.  The family, my GGrandfather William White, and GGGrandfather John White lived at Heelis Street, Becket Square and Parker Street and were linen weavers.

Could there be a connection?

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leura

If you click on carolanne name you see her profile and see she has not been active on this website  since Oct 2022 or two and a half years  ??? - so if she does not answer - you'll know why

Dave  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth