Author Topic: Swansea address of Quarry st.  (Read 2851 times)

Offline charlotteuk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Swansea address of Quarry st.
« on: Thursday 16 November 06 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a Swansea address of Quarry Street on a 1923 birth certificate.  I've tried to find it on the map but it only looks to be a few metres long.  Does anyone know what happened here?  Was the area subject to any damage during WW2 and subsequent re-building?

I have looked at Swansea County Hall website but can't find any information there and so wondered if anyone local to the area would be able to help.

Thanks

Charlotte
GRIFFIN/GRAFFIN - Portglenone/Ahoghill Co.Antrim & Clydebank/Motherwell
NEESON - Co Antrim/Motherwell/Chicago
DARRAGH - Portglenone Co.Antrim
             ----------------------
DARLOW - Kenilworth/Coventry/Bubbenhall
(& South Warwickshire pre 1850)
DILWORTH - Kenilworth

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Swansea address of Quarry st.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 06 20:11 GMT (UK) »
It's certainly possible that Quarry Street was affected by the Swansea Blitz - Townhill had damage although it was mainly the centre. I can't find any specific references to that area but Orchard St did come up and that's not far.Dyfatty Street has certainly been redeveloped since the war but that might be down to the poor and old housing that was there before.
There are some pictures of the aftermath of the Swansea blitz on the Gathering the Jewels website. There's also www.Swanseahistoryweb.org.uk which needs a £3 payment but does look to have info on the blitz. Sorry my knowledge of technology isn't up to adding links.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 06 23:13 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know Townhill only suffered scattered damage (that was bad enough); no question of it being demolished. Similarly the bulk of the severe damage centred on the area around Swansea Castle (though the Castle remains survived). This area was badly affected and resulted in a large area being cleared.

What streets do you have as being adjacent to Quarry Street? I can make further enquiries if you tell me that.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Crinoline

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for some roots...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 06 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

There is a Quarry STREET in Treboeth, Swansea SA5 9DJ.

Do you think that might be the one your looking for?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 06 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I would think there is every likelihood that bombs or county planners (or both) are responsible for the truncation of Quarry Street. It is pretty close to the main railway station, which would presumably have been a German target, and the area nearby now involves new road junctions and other developments which might have knocked a few more yards off what was left.

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteuk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  All for responding to my query. 

The street address is from marriage and birth certificates and pre-date post codes, but gives sub-district as Swansea South.

I know that the family had left their native Swansea by the end of WW2 and although I don't know where they went, I wondered ifthe move was due to wartime bombing.

Charlotte
GRIFFIN/GRAFFIN - Portglenone/Ahoghill Co.Antrim & Clydebank/Motherwell
NEESON - Co Antrim/Motherwell/Chicago
DARRAGH - Portglenone Co.Antrim
             ----------------------
DARLOW - Kenilworth/Coventry/Bubbenhall
(& South Warwickshire pre 1850)
DILWORTH - Kenilworth

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte

You might try http://www.rootschat.com/links/0d8/

The Family History Centre at County Hall in Swansea, it's a bit misnamed as they are well up on the history of the area too.

Wendi :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire