Author Topic: ALL TOPICS Inquiery PLEASE HELP  (Read 13223 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: ALL TOPICS Inquiery PLEASE HELP
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 November 06 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I found the 1881 census record - George had been abbreviated to Geo. Rhodes.  All the family were recorded as being born in Leeds. Daughter Clara was shown as aged 12, so I thought I would be able to find them in 1871 - but to no avail.

Had no luck with checking out Leeds marriages for George and Julia.  Perhaps they didn't actually marry - wouldn't be the first time.  Alternatively Julia might have been married before and her children (some of the elder ones) adopted the new father's name.  Or am I just searching for an explanation?

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 November 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello, are these of any help to you:

William Rhodes married Mary A Kellett
St. Matthew, Holbeck, Leeds 1881

William Rhodes married Mary A Paget
St. Barnabas, Holbeck, Leeds  1881

you can view and order them on the  following:

www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk

Hope its of some help.

Dee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 November 06 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Correction to the above entry,  The marriage between William Rhodes and Mary A Paget took place in 1882.  Sorry about that.
Dee Melody

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 November 06 08:10 GMT (UK) »
I think I will just post the original enquiry which is on another board to help people with this search.  Has a few more details of people in it.

Hello: Can anyone PLEASE help me. I need information as quickly as possible. Sorry for the RUSH but my parents are very, very sick. All my mother ever wanted was to find out about her Father & his Family from Leeds, ( Yorkshire ?), England. I'm trying to brighten up what time she has left & bring her dream to life. I do have this much information.
My Grandfather: Joseph Rhodes  born: 24 April 1884, was shipped to Canada at the age of 3yrs. the reason for being shipped away to Canada was because his father George & mother ?? both died. His brother George 12 yrs.& Albert 8, were both shipped to Canada with him.O ther brothers & sisters not sure of, (except a  sister name Clara for sure). All  3 brothers were on the same Ship The SS Parisian. Joseph was adopted by the Hughes in from the House of Province in Kingston, Ontario Canada. 1901 census Palmerston & Canonto, Addington: Hughes Annie, head, widow, Aug.1835, 65. Rhodes Joseph, adopted son, 24 Apr. 1884, 16 b England. I already know most of his journey though life here in Canada but not the first 3 yrs. in England. Also know Albert lived and worked some of the same places Joseph did. Albert married and had 17 children,on Albert's marriage License he names a Margaret Woodhouse as his mother but we never heard him speak about that name before.  Joseph married and had 4 girls (2 stillborn) adopted a girl, then his wife bore 2 more girls). Sarah nee Cain born: Nov. 10 1899 ( was Joseph's wife from Liverpool England).  Lost track of brother George he moved on to Alberta, Canada .then Ireland as far as we know. Found a Family in Leeds, Yorkshire, England that I believe to be Joseph's but can't find right sources to prove it. 1881 census  father:George Rhodes 1846  Mother:Julia (nee ??) 1847, Clara 1869, George 1875, Walter 1876, Albert 1879, & Ann Elizabeth 1880. Joseph not included because he was born yet and was shipped away before the next census. (My mother never hear the names Walter or Ann mentioned.She remembers the names Carmal & Stella but not sure) Could anyone PLEASE help me??? Any Information would be greatly appreciated. Having a Family Christmas  party Dec. 17/06 and was hoping to make it the Merriest Christmas my Mother ever had. PLEASE ....HELP me do so......Pat

Hope that's ok Mods!!!  :)
Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 November 06 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,
Re Kerryb reply No. 8

If these are Joseph's parents then:

George Rhodes d1892 Buried Beckett Street Cemetery, Leed
burial ref no: 66225

Julia Rhodes d1887 Buried Beckett Street Cemetery
burial ref no: 36377

Leeds Library has lots of info on Beckett Street Cemetery and there is also a website for Friends of Beckett Street (they charge for information)
www.beckettstreetcemetery.org.uk

I'm not sure if you are looking 'back' for details on Joseph's birth parents, but do let us know how you are getting on at some stage.  You really do have your work cutout on this assignment.  Good luck

Dee Melody

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I decided to pursue dad George and children, Clara, Walter and Ann Elizabeth; didn't have any luck with Ann Elizabeth, but I am sure this is Walter and Clara in 1891 (all were born Leeds):

21 Fawcett? Street, Leeds (RG12/3687, Folio 11, Page 17)
John Taylor, Head, M, 31, Coal Miner
Clara    "    , Wife, M, 32, Tailoress
Julia      "    , Dau, 1
Ann F?  "    , Dau, 3m
Walter Rhodes, Boarder, 16

On FreeBMD, there is a possible marriage in the qtr June 1888 for John Taylor and Clara Ellen Woodhouse (the surname Albert gave for his mother on his marriage).

I had already found George (sen) in 1871 as follows (again all born Leeds):

8 East Grove Street, Leeds (RG10/4555, Folio 155, Page 10)
Ann Rhodes, Head, Widow, 58,
Benjamin "  , Son, Unm, 27, Mechanic Fitter
George    "  , Son,  "     , 24,     "         Driller
Sam         "  , Son,   "    , 21, Millwright
Tom         " , son,     "   , 17, Mechanic Turner
Jane Swithenbank, Grand Dau, 9, Scholar
Joseph Firth    ?   , Mar, 42, Brewer

Interestingly next door at no 8 is the following (again, all born Leeds, unless otherwise stated):
William Swithenbank, Head, Mar, 40, Brewer
Harriet       "             , Wife, Mar, 36,
John W      "             , Son, 16, Plumber
Joseph      "              ,    " , 12, Scholar
Ann           "              , Dau, 11    "    , Yorkshire, Middlesboro
Helina?     "              , Dau, 8      "
Mary         "              , Dau, 6
Clara Woodhouse, Niece, 3

Unfortunately, I have run out of time, to pursue this, I will try again later, unless someone else gets a chance :)
Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to say, there is a freebmd marriage entry with both William Swithenbank and Harriet Rhodes in the qtr Sep 1854.  Also on Freebmd there is a birth reg for Clara Ellen Woodhouse in 1868.
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,,
I am sure this is the right Julia in 1871:

21 Rear St, Leeds (RG10/4554, Folio 17, Page 28)
Julia Woodhouse, Boarder, Unm, 23, Sewing Machinist, Leeds

Did you ever PM Julian, and find out any more about the family, i.e. are you still interested in this thread?

Kath

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Here are Albert & Joseph's WWI Attestation Papers.  Have you ordered their full files, there may be more clues in them.

Joseph

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc015/601014a.gif

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc015/601014b.gif

Albert

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc015/600935a.gif

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc015/600935b.gif

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!