Author Topic: ADDICOAT family name?.......  (Read 13663 times)

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ADDICOAT family name?.......
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 December 13 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh okay. No quotes to the bigger pieces.
I'll see if I can dig the names out, but I'm not sure I took down the address of the web page they were on.
I do remember that the same names are in my lines.
There is also an 'Addicoat Cross' somewhere north of Cornwall, but then if it's later years, the line could have moved up there. (I'll have to get the link to that page.)
After reading the shipping logs passenger lists, I think most of the immigrated to the USA and Australia. Not that many left in the UK anymore.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 December 13 00:09 GMT (UK) »
http://www.dartmoor-crosses.org.uk/addiscott.htm

Addiscott Cross
Location:  On top of the hedge, opposite the signpost, at the crossroads beside Addiscott Farm.
Purpose:  Waymarker showing the way from outlying farms and hamlets to the church at South Tawton.

It doesn't give its original date.
Addiscott doesn't seem to be an actual surname in Cornwall.
Several of yours did marry as Addicott, as you've seen.

This is likely the oath in question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestation_of_1641
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestation_Returns_of_1642
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 December 13 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh there have been quite a few derivations on the name. (In fact it's still going. The differences in spelling of the surname, just associated with me is unbelievable.)
Considering most of them back then were probably illiterate, and the changes of the names throughout the years, it's a 'could be connected'.
There was also a suggestion in the family lore, the French name could have been something similar to 'Addiscote', but I haven't been able to find anything close.

Yes, those 'Oaths' seem familar.

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 December 13 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Found this one - 1641. Which is where the line in Cornwall roughly starts.

http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Bampton/BamptonProtestationReturn.htm

Notice the subtle change in name.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 December 13 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry does show a Chancery (civil court) record for a Henry Addiscote in Devon 1504-1515 -- way before Huguenot times.

All names started somewhere and somehow, but the where and the how aren't always identifiable. Some names in England have French origins from way back -- my gr-grfather's assumed name Monck is supposed to have started with William Lemoyne (moine being the French word for a monk) who accompanied William the Conqueror. On the other hand his (maybe) real name, Hill, probably came from his ancestor living on some hill somewhere. My Carters and Coopers are probably descended from a carter (who transported things by horsecart) and a cooper (who made barrels). Some are a mystery. ;)

Here's an old post elswhere about possible name connections, specifically mentioning Arscott that I'd run into earlier, and may be worth considering for further research:
http://genforum.genealogy.com/arscott/messages/45.html

Sorry, no French invaders ARSCOTT is as English as the hills in England., Connections with the Plantagent Kings. yes, but only because of marriage. You need to see the records at the D.R.O. at Exeter. No 178B/M/F2 and the VISITATIONS OF DEVON FOR ARSCOTT pedigree sheets for ARSCOTT of ARSCOTT. You can get copys through the post, This might be of interest to. BRITISH SURNAMES. ARSCOTT. ORIGIN OLD ENGLISH. MEANS A LOCAL OF ARSCOTT SHROPSHIRE. OR ARSCOTT IN DEVON. ARSCOTT IN DEVON WAS RECORDED IN THE YEAR 1292 AS ASSHECOTE AND AS AYSHOOTE IN 1333. IN THE HUNDRED ROLLS OF SHROPSHIRE AS ARDEESCOTE. JOHN ARSCOTT OF DEVON WAS RECORDED AS ARYSCOTE, ADDESCOTE ADDYSCOTE ADESCOTE ADESCOTE AND ADDYSCOTE IN THE YEAR 1513. THIS LIKE LIKE THE SURNAME ATHERSCOTE IN THE YEAR 1287 MUST DERIVE FROM ADDISCOTE IN SOUTH TAWTON DEVON. AND FROM AEDRICHESCOTA IN THE YEAR 1166, AND ADDISCOTT OR ARSCOTT AS RECORDED IN THE YEAR 1658.

edit re http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Bampton/BamptonProtestationReturn.htm

Yes, it has the names Adicote, Addicott and Adcote.

And your St Buryan people in the 1600s and 1700s did baptise their young variously as Adicote, Adicott, Adicot and Adicoat, and the same variations with the "dd".

Heh heh, maybe we're related ...
http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Ashwater/AshwaterinKellysDirectory1939.htm

Ashwater is a parish and a village on the river Carey, half a mile north-west from Ashwater station on a section of the Southern Railway from Exeter to Launceston ... . The register dates from the year 1558 and records the baptism here of the father of general Monk, afterwards Duke of Albemarle [George Monck], and also the marriage of his grandfather to a Miss Arscott.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 December 13 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Janey, I wouldn't be surprised at all. :)
Spellings of the names keep changing. In 1915, a young man joined the Army in Australia to do 'his bit'. Unfortunately, he died of meningitis two months later. His fathers name was Addicoat, but his name on his papers is Addicoate.
I think we'd go nuts trying to piece every name change together.
This is the time when we need a time machine to go back and check things out. Especially when you have no surname of the wife on the marriage certificate.
Wouldn't it make things so much easier!! ;D

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 December 13 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you can get a discount!! --

http://www.liberty100.co.uk/title/lordship-of-addiscote-id1014/

And when I went ploughing back through the Devon Monck trees posted at familysearch, I found that an earlier one, Hugh Le Moyne, married a Ms Estcotte round about the year 1175 ... so one way or another ... ;)

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 December 13 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, never actually thought of searching others family trees again.
Did that once, and oh boy, talk about mistakes.
One of them had the father marrying the granddaughter. You would have thought the birthdates would have clued the owner in on that one.
I'll have to check my great Aunts tree. Thanks for the hint Janey. :)

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 December 13 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look at the link.
The Addicott shield is different. Roundels on an X