Author Topic: Close Family- Peel,Wellington,Ontario  (Read 11751 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Close Family- Peel,Wellington,Ontario
« Reply #27 on: Friday 27 February 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Loosely transcribed by ME....
James Longman of Woolwich in 1856 purchased lot 14 east half, Concession 9 from a man
named Tyler. Mr. Longman was a good carpenter, proved a good member of the community,
there being a great demand for such work.
The family were: John,  Samuel, James, Mrs. Robert Close and Edward.
and more here:
http://www.wcm.on.ca/tweedsmuir/results_name.php?township=0&name_last=longman&name_first=

Loosely transcribed by ME....
William close of Yorkshire England settled in 1846 ...on lot 12 and part of 11 concession 10
The part of the homestead adjoining Goldstone is still the property of the family and belongs
 to Mrs. Fanny Close. The family were: William, James, George, Ralph, on lot 10 concession .
10 east Robert, Mrs. waind, Mrs. hammon and Mrs. C Brown. Mr Close was for many years
treasurer of Peel tsp and was succeeded in that capacity by son Ralph.
and more here:
http://www.wcm.on.ca/tweedsmuir/results_name.php?township=o2&name_last=close&name_first=
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~methodists/peel.htm
Lots of Longman & Close ( Methodists site) ...plus use the search for more in Wellington County
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline a_hx

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 October 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
I have a family tree  with mention of a James Close.

Parents probably William Close (1818-1891) and Ann Waind (1815-1886) with his parents being William Close (1789 -1859) and Barbara Gamble (1796-1883?). And before that maybe Ralph and Hannah. Apparently came from Wombeton, Yorkshire England to Canada in 1847 when James was a baby.

I can't tell you for sure if its correct but I have a James Close b 1847 D July 14, 1909 who married Julia Kelly (1859-1915).

The Family tree continues down from there till the current updated version I have. According to the version I'm working from the book is available in the archives at Wellington Place between Fergus and Elora.

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone have info on Ruth Close / Hannam?
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for more detail on Ruth Close, daughter of William and Barbara Close of Peel Township, and also her second husband, James Hankins.

WHAT I KNOW SO FAR

Ruth Close married John Hannam in Yorkshire in 1846. They were in England for the 1851 census, but their son, Matthew Hannam, was born in Canada in 1858.

Ruth and John appear on the Peel census in 1861, living near the Close family. John described as an "innkeeper". Then, in 1863, their daughter Ida Selina Hannam was born in Port Huron, Michigan.

I presume John Hannam died before 1865 (I cannot find a record, however) because that year Ruth Hannam married James Hankins in Peel Township. I'm guessing she moved back to Peel to be with family after John died.

Ruth and James Hankins had a daughter, Matilda 'Tillie' Hankins who was born in Michigan in June 1866.

Ruth married again in 1869 to Edwin Mason in Forester, Michigan. Ruth, Edwin and Ruth's children Matthew, Ida and Tillie, appear together on the 1870 census in Forester, and then again in 1880 in Oscoda.

Ruth died in 1889.

Tillie Hankins married John Patzwald, then Charles Wilbur and then finally Matthew Molinari (as far as I can tell).

JAMES HANKINS
My interest is chiefly in James Hankins. On his marriage to Ruth he says he was born c.1820 in England, the son of James and Hannah Hankins. I believe this may have been the same James Hankins who married my own ancestor, Mary Anne Chandler (née Wright) in Bristol, England, in 1845. The facts all fit and there are a number of Tillie Hankins / John Patzwald descendants who are DNA matches to a number of Hankins / Wright descendants. That's the logic.

Aside from the marriage, and also a passenger list record of a James Hankins, mason (same as James Hankins from Bristol), age 40, travelling from Liverpool to New York in 1863, I can't find any trace of him.

Does anyone have any more info on Ruth or James Hankins?