Author Topic: Was she born Elizabeth Hamilton or Nuttall?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Was she born Elizabeth Hamilton or Nuttall?
« on: Friday 17 November 06 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find a birth certificate for my grandmother Elizabeth Mackness nee Hamilton, Elizabeth’s birthday from the family Bible was 14 May 1879.

My grandmother is Elizabeth Hamilton on the 1881 census living at Upper Darwen Lancashire as a granddaughter aged 1; the family head is Robert Hamilton. Three of Robert’s children were married at the Belgrave Square Independent Meeting House. One of the daughter’s Jane married a John Nuttall in 1883.

On the 1891 census at Islington, London, Elizabeth is now Elizabeth Nuttall living with John and Jane Nuttall as daughter aged 11. On her marriage certificate in 1898 her maiden name is Hamilton with father John Hamilton.

I cannot find her on the 1901 census but her illegitimate son George Hamilton is living with John and Jane Nuttall as grandson in Islington in 1901.

She had 9 children on the last 5 children’s birth certificates she changed the mother’s maiden name from Hamilton to Nuttall after a court case with her mother.

Offline Caulkhead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Was she born Elizabeth Hamilton or Nuttall?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 06 22:11 GMT (UK) »
It seems to me that Elizabeth was born to Jane Hamilton before her marriage.

Presumably the bible entry of her birthday is correct and there is an Elizabeth Hamilton birth entry for the June quarter of 1879 Liverpool 8b 155 that could well be hers.

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 06 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Caulkhead,

The GRO did a search for the period 1878-80 with father John Hamilton after I had purchased some certificates in hope but did not find anything. I will get this certificate just incase Jane Hamilton is the mother with father John Nuttall (if named). I assume as she was probably illegitimate she would had been born away from home.

The place she lived in was Over Darwen not Upper.

If you search the records locally is it possible to search date wise rather than surname assuming the correct birth date

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I have just received the birth cert for Elizabeth Hamilton birth entry for the June quarter of 1879 Liverpool 8b 155 and guess what it is not my grandmother.

If you search the records locally is it possible to search date wise rather than surname assuming the correct birth date?

Could someone please look up the batism records for Over Darwen to see if there was a Elizabeth Hamilton/Nuttall baptised with a possible birth date of 14 May 1879.