Author Topic: Mary Ann Byles  (Read 5093 times)

Offline clarecuba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Byles
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 December 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I realise you posted this info 13 yrs' ago, but I am chancing sending you a message. My great great grandfather was Valentine John McLaughlan Byles. I have gleaned a lot of info from your posts and conversations from ambly and andipandi. I would be very grateful if you could contact me please so we can compare notes. Many thanks.
Clare

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 December 19 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Has it really been 13 years?
Doesn't time fly when you're stuck in the archives!
Nice to hear from you Clare.
Breath a sigh of relief that you are related to Valentine John and not my blessed Eliza Ann and her callous Callus William Webb.
My Grandmother Harriet (who eventually married William Mathias) had a fear of the sea claiming that too many people had been drowned in her family. I must admit that I haven't found one yet, but she was Eliza's daughter and we know that lies came easily to that lady.
Have you found any drownings from your angle. Would be nice to find just one ... or not, because in cases like that it is always the wrong one, if you follow me.
What ever, love to hear from you.
Paula
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline clarecuba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 December 19 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Paula. Lovely to hear from you.
I'm not as familiar with the whole family history as you are, but, no, I haven't come across any drownings. Maybe it's an assumption because they were seafarers?
I've just accessed Valentine John's naval records.
I was wondering what happened to his 2nd wife, Jane Bureau's hubby, Charles Abraham? Do you know? Although there are records of his birth and marriage, there is no information whatsoever of the rest of his life. I believe he was in the Royal Navy, but there's no record there, either. Perhaps he emigrated?
Another mystery is whether or not Lettice, Valentine John's first wife, was a relative of Jane? Although Jones is a very common name in Wales (I'm Welsh and live in Wales), it's not a common name in South Pembrokeshire, which is known as  "Little England beyond Wales". So it seems highly unusual that 2 young women from a tiny hamlet there, both called Jones, would have ended up in Portsea, both married to RN sailors.
There seems to be some speculation that they may have been sisters, although it was illegal to marry a deceased person's spouse until 1907, but there are examples where it did happen. Jane and Val John did marry eventually in 1875,but interestingly, they went into England to do so.
I'm interested in your Mathias and John surnames. Both are Welsh surnames. I think Mary John was sister to Jane (?) and her daughter (!?) married a Byles? Mary also came from the same hamlet as Jane and Lettice, ie Cuffern.
Where/how does the Matthias family fit in? Interesting to note they seem to have originated in Pembrokeshire, too.
Do you have a family tree you would be willing to share, please? Or any photos/documents? I'm happy to pay/reimburse for any info, or order any certificates if you want any, etc.
They seem to have been a very "interesting" (!) family, don't they?
I believe Valentine John is supposedly descended from a seafaring family, but I couldn't find any evidence of that.
Thank you so much again for getting in touch. I would be very grateful for any info or points of note. Cheers. Clare

Offline mamgu47

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
I too have picked up on the research of andipandi. Valentine John Byles and Jane were my great great great grandparents. I am descended from their daughter Rosetta, born in Bangor. The Bessie Rees referred to at one point was my grandmother's sister. I am just starting to research back my grandmothers line. I come straight down the female line from Jane, all of us born in Pembrokeshire. I was interested in exploring another Family Story told me by my grandmother. This was that my GGGGM had run away with the coachman and lost her fortune. I had assumed this was an elopement. But now i find Jane, already married, ran away with a coastguard. The english words had got muddled over time but the actual bones of the story are there. That helps out AMBLY who wonders if she did just that. I shall be doing more work on this.

Offline clarecuba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi. So sorry to have taken so long to reply. I haven't been checking this for ages! Very interested to hear more about the Byles family that you have reported. Amazingly, within the last couple of months a lady called Louise, originally from Wales, but who has lived in Malaysia for the past 25 years, and I have connected on MyHeritage, which I'd just joined, and she is a 4th-6th cousin, sharing a common ancestor, ie Jane. In the last month we have made a huge breakthrough and broken down the brickwall that was Charles Bureau! We are so excited. If you're interested in knowing more about his family from Quebec, please let me know. Anyway, here's the (almost!) drowning you were looking for! We found out through posts on rootschat that he was killed on board ship in a terrible accident in 1853, whilst serving with the Royal Navy. 7 poor souls died altogether, and as it happened in Portuguese waters, they consigned them to the deep that same evening. No death certificate was ever issued (which is why there's no public record of his death). And, something I consider horrible, due to the military and naval policy in those times, their RN records were erased after a few years, which is the reason that we could never find his RN service! Charles Ferdinand Bureau was Jane Jones's first husband. Lettice Jones who was Valentine John's first wife, was Jane's sister. Some family trees on MyHeritage and Ancestry have mixed up Lettice and Jane, not realising Lettice died in 1855, but showing Val J still married to her and having all 7 of their children, and her being called Lettice Jane. When Val J was widowed in 1855, he was left with one very young son, Samuel, named for Val J's father. Jane was also left with a little son, Charles Abraham Bureau. So, not long after 1855 it seems Jane and Val J set up home together, and eventually had 5 children together. They moved from Portsea to Bangor in N Wales, where Val J became a coastguard(!!). Some of the children were born there, including Rosetta in 1859. I expect you know this history, now? They eventually moved to Pembrokeshire, where the other children were born, and where Val J died in 1900, followed by Jane in 1901. I know quite a bit about the Byles family, ancestors etc, but Louise and I are struggling to find Jane and Lettice's family. It's always more difficult to trace Welsh ancestors than English ones, as most of the Welsh are non-conformist, and as such, their birth, marriage and death records are only in their chapel's register. A lady in Pembrokeshire archives is helping us, but no luck so far, though a couple of guesses. We know Jane and Lettice's father was Thomas Jones (named on both marriage certificates), and he died in 1850, between April when Lettice married, and July when Jane married. Seems Mary John was a sister, too, as previously mentioned. Looking for the right  Jones in non conformist Wales??? A very tall order. I'm very interested to see you are a younger generation than myself and sister; also v interested to hear about your relationship to Bessie Rees, our grandfather, Albert's sister. I can't find her after 1921 census. Family story says she was a suffragist, who later became the Liberal Party political agent in Aberdare. But I can't find any info on this. As you will no doubt know, Rosetta and the children who still lived at home in Pembrokeshire, all went to live with the oldest brother, John, in Aberdare. It seems Rosetta's hubby, John Howell Rees, didn't go with them. He moved to live with his daughter Annie Cousins, in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, and sadly died in the Workhouse there in 1921. I'm guessing you know about Workhouses? They usually had a hospital attached, and it's where poor people were treated, and sometimes subsequently died. Rosetta died in 1940, her last years spent living with her son, Harry, who'd been a butcher. Anything further info you can share about the family, would be gratefully received.

Offline clarecuba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, again, Paula. I just remembered another family story I wanted to share. Don't know if you've heard it before? My mother told us that side of the family claimed to have Flemish ancestry. Nice thought. Don't know if it's true. Possible of course with Pembrokeshire's history. Have you done a DNA test? My sister Caroline did one about 6 years' ago. We therefore have multiple DNA matches in the form of cousins, ranging from 2nd-3rd, to about 8th. My family tree research is under Brown family, but Caroline's is under Rees.
Cheers. Clare

Offline clarecuba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, again! Think I've been unintentionally patronising! For some reason I thought you were American, hence my detail as to what a Workhouse was. Sorry! C