Author Topic: What disease might this be???!  (Read 6501 times)

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What disease might this be???!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 November 06 19:09 GMT (UK) »
They all mean the same, really.  ie TB, generally pulmonary (of the lungs).  TB can occur anywhere, but pulmonary is the commonest.  Phthisis and consumption are not used today.
BENNET(T); NRY- Brotton, CON
BURTON; NRY- Saltburn, Guisborough, Marske, Stokesley
Judge Newark Lincoln BURTON , USA
DALES; NRY- Brotton, LIN - Orby
DAVIES
GEORGE: GLA - Oystermouth & Penarth, CON
LINCOLN. Middlesbrough, NRY, Durham
PERRETT Gloucestershire
QUESTED London. Assisting with One-name Study.
TRASK; GLA - Cardiff, Barry etc, SOM - South Petherton
WESTED

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EcclesCake2003

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 November 06 19:45 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Pipa,

It could well have been syphilis.
This was not uncommon in the 1950,s as a result of soldiers being abroad with
the war.

Syphilis does not always show at once  and Penicillin was given for this  Penicillin being hailed as the "silver bullet for Syphilis."

Penicillin was in use in the  late1940,s but due to the war was in very short supply.

Streptomycins were given for TB (Tuberculosis) Good food and fresh air recomended. and convellence in warmer climates.

Tuberculosis is contracted by droplet infection, ie kissing coughing sneezing and spitting and inhalation.

When a person was diagnosed with TB it was compulsary for the families to be checked and all given injections as it  is highly contagious.
 these    diseases had to be notified with the Health Depts.

The Isolation Hospital for ECCLES was LADYWELL HOSPITAL situated on Eccles new road.(Prior to that it was one of the old Workhouses before it was turned into a hospital)

The Records for all the medical professions in that area are kept at " The Willows"  Eccles Old Road Salford.

Ecclescake

Offline EcclesCake2003

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 November 06 19:54 GMT (UK) »
  To Frenchdressing.

Phthisis, and consumption are old  terms  for Tuberculosis. TB.

no longer used much  these days. Yes TB still does exist but not as common as it used to be. Due to the state of better hygiene conditions food and health regulations.

Although in some countries  is making a come back.

Ecclescake.

Offline EcclesCake2003

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 November 06 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pipa,

It could well have been syphilis.
This was not uncommon in the 1950,s as a result of soldiers being abroad with
the war.

Syphilis does not always show at once  and Penicillin was given for this  Penicillin being hailed as the "silver bullet for Syphilis."

Penicillin was in use in the  late1940,s but due to the war was in very short supply.

The smell could well have been from carblic acid which was used quite a lot in those days as an antiseptic antibacterial.  Yes it did stink too.

Streptomycin and Sulphomides were given for TB (Tuberculosis) Good food and fresh air recomended. and convellence in warmer climates.

When a person was diagnosed with TB it was compulsary for the families to be checked and all given injections as it  is highly contagious.
 these    diseases had to be notified with the Health Depts.

The Isolation Hospital for ECCLES was LADYWELL HOSPITAL situated on Eccles new road.(Prior to that it was one of the old Workhouses before it was turned into a hospital)

The Records for all the medical professions in that area are kept at " The Willows"  Eccles Old Road Salford.

I know it well I worked there along side working at Hope Hospital.

Ecclescake

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 November 06 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Although it is of course possible, I do not think syphilis is very likely, TB fits the story better as the penicillin would not have been given over such an extended period.

Both are notifiable diseases, I wonder if these notifications are publicly available?  Probably not but they will have been recorded somewhere.
DAVIES
PERRETT Gloucestershire
WESTED

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 November 06 06:36 GMT (UK) »
A relative was treated for TB in the 1940's. They thought he had TB but actually he had lung cancer. Actually the xrays of Lung Cancer and TB looked similar then.

He lived in North Cheshire and was in a place called Market Drayton Sanatorium. ( staffs?) He hated it.  He said he was freezing all the time. Cold fresh air was considered good for TB hence I suppose people going to  mountain sanatoriums in Switzerland for the cure, in the previous times.

I understand it was in a large old house in its own grounds. They had to rest and he did leather work making wallets and handbag . He was not improving and hated the place anyway so came home and it was complete bed rest again but at least in the comfort of home.

He had to have his own set of dishes and cutlery and they were boiled . Everything was washed down with disinfectant all the time. Others living in the same house were sent for xrays to ensure that had not caught it.

He died of Lung Cancer age 36. He did not smoke.  I suppose even if they had diagnosed the illness correctly there would be little they could have done. I suspect that's what she had.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 November 06 06:40 GMT (UK) »
I just found this link , it may be of interest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/564540.stm
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 November 06 12:14 GMT (UK) »
An interesting piece which describes how it was.  There was still a "sanatorium" outside Aberdeen when I trained.

But you cannot trust anyone really:

And then penicillin made its arrival at the sanatorium in the form of streptomycin. It was integrated into the treatment, and although the fresh air route to recovery was not entirely abandoned, the drug proved the more effective weapon in the fight against the lung disease.

Penicillin and streptomycin are quite different classes of antibiotic, or antimicrobial drugs.  Penicillin never worked for TB. 

Nit-picking, I know.....
DAVIES
PERRETT Gloucestershire
WESTED

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 November 06 21:57 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you pjbuk007.
No, its not nitpicking.  :)  If wrong information is being given out,  then  it should be corrected.

People can have different opinions,  and they can make mistakes, they can mean well, but if it's a matter of scientific fact then it is important to  put the record straight. 
I think what you posted about antibiotics is very interesting and useful.  We all have our own areas of expertise and its nice to be able to share in your knowledge.  :)