Author Topic: Genealogy on TV - new approach needed  (Read 6342 times)

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy on TV - new approach needed
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 November 06 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I think that moving WDYTYA to BBC1 was good in some sense. The more people who have viewed it, the more become interested in FH, the more sources will become readily available. Surely that can't be a bad thing. If a multicultural angle is the way they are playing it then i can't see the harm, there's plenty of other TV about to keep the simple Family Historian happy.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline Highweek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 November 06 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I must admit I agree with a lot of you saying that the last series seemed more about who could travel the furthest!

I really loved the first series because it told you how to find out the information via the red button or you could follow up with another programme with Adrian Childs. 

Now everyone just walks around collecting a brown envelope or looks like they are taking their dogs into the PRO :o

IMHO the BBC have trivialized the hard work needed to find out the research material and they no longer show you how to find it.  There have been a couple of shots of people looking at census's online but that's it.  I think it just makes people think they can pop in and pick up their family tree from a library or record office and make it look easy.

OK, I hear you say so what could a tv programme do to make it better?

How about a six part series tracing a family's ancestors and yes our Ag Labs and mill workers who are reality for most of us, but each programme concentrating on say week 1 - births, marriages and deaths, 2 - census's, 3 - parish records, 4 - wills and probate, 5 - military history and 6 - making the best use of the resources available, i.e records offices, local history societies, libraries etc.

Just a thought for any of you budding tv producers out there  ;)
AKAM - London, Middlesex, Surrey & Kent
CARTRIDGE - Poole and Lymington
CRAGGIE - John - any info
GLADDISS - IOW Hampshire & Northfleet Kent
LOUD - Chittlehampton Devon
RANDOLPH TOLMIE - Lympstone Hampshire
RANDOLPH - Southampton Hampshire
SEEAR -  Hemel Hempstead Herts and Hendon Middlesex
STOKES - Bettisfield Flintshire Wales & Northwood Wem Shropshire
TOLMIE - John Randolph - Scotland
WOODMAN - South Stoneham Hampshire
YEATMAN - Sherbourne Dorset & Oxford

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 November 06 12:29 GMT (UK) »
A good idea Highweek!

But sadly nearly 40,000 Rootschat viewers isn't what the BBC are after.  They want to make programmes that appeal to the masses who aren't mad keen on genealogy.  So sadly I doubt we will get our wish.  :-\

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Highweek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Kerry

What I forgot to put in my post was that each programme should have a celebs doing the research - maybe getting some of those back who were hooked after a previous series....

Well I suppose we can dream !! ::)

Julie

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Now that sounds like a good idea ;D ;D ;D  Get some celebs doing some hard work!!!!! ::) ::) ::)  The producers could write to Rootschat and we could give them our brickwalls!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Highweek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hey Kerry, maybe we should patent this idea  :P

We'd all have enough brick walls to build a castle!! lol  :)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I had forgotten about the House Detectives, I really loved that show, I wish they would do another series or several  ;D  and I loved the Green Valley also.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I get SOOOOO jealous when I read about all these great programmes you have. Despite the fact that the vast majority of Aussies have British heritage and there has been an upsurge in the number of people interested in their family trees, it seems most unlikely that any of our channels would produce shows like these. I really envy all those folk who can pop into the local records offices, GRO, access archives etc. We did get "Time Team" but that's just about our lot!
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Another t.v. show which I thought was very good that involved a fair bit of history , not exactly genealogy
 was "Off the  Beaten Track" narrated by Nigel Farrell.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley