Author Topic: Gibson - Pre 1800  (Read 721 times)

Offline Flightless Bird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gibson - Pre 1800
« on: Sunday 19 November 06 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I have been pulling together my Gibson family tree for a little while now but have hit a dead-end...

I have the birth of Samuel Clark Gibson in 1809 in Middlesex (chistened St Anne, Soho).  Father Robert and mother Sarah.  But now I seem to be stuck.  Is anyone researching this line?  Have any ideas where to next?

Thanks for any help

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson - Pre 1800
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat

If you check further on the IGI, you will find a number of siblings to your Samuel, baptised at St Annes from 1801 to 1809. There are also  possible siblings baptised at St Martin in the field 1795 & 1797.

From this I would look for a marriage for the parents from 1795-1800 (depending on whether the first born in 1795 is a sibling as to an early marriage date).
The two early children have a middle name of REID which looks to be a family name, also your Samuel has the name Clark & the next born is Timothy Hall Gibson, so one of these names may be the maiden name of Sarah.

The marriage that appears on the IGI is
Robert Gibson and Sarah Reid in 1794. This couple probably would be the parents of the two early children, but whether your Samuel is part of this family will be harder to prove.

The IGI has marriages online for St Annes batch M062361 covers 1795 to 1876 & there is no marriage there between Robert Gibson and a Sarah.

Finding some of the siblings in 1841, looking at whether they are living near each other and or nameing patterns for their children may help.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flightless Bird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 06 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Wow - thanks Trish, that information will keep me going for a while!

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 06 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Be warned - it is possible to spend days/weeks tracing the wrong family  ::)   ::)  - I discovered one of my errors of this type very recently. (Consider it good practice for when you find the right family)

It is also more difficult when the family comes from London as there are often multiple parishes involved - the ones out in the small village parishes are best  :D

Do come back if you have other queries - there are lots of folks on RC much better than myself at English research

good luck

Trish

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 06 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid that just because they were born in London it doesn't always mean they were born there.  They could have come from anywhere.  You really need to check the actual births and marriage to see if they say "of this parish" of if there are any other clues.  You should certainly check Samuels birth to see if the mothers maiden name is there.  You can check these at your local LDS where you can order the films or I'm afraid it is probably the LMA

You could check on the IGI for any births, about 25 years before the marriage, for Robert and Sarah Reid.  Then see if there are any other marriages which may be them.

Sylviaann
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Flightless Bird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile