Author Topic: Roxborough - Faup - Telfer  (Read 8782 times)

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roxborough - Faup - Telfer
« on: Sunday 19 November 06 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a village/hamlet called Faup.

A Walter Douglas married in 1828 Jedburgh/Oxnam to a Jean Telfer born 1806 Faup.
Three children, John 1830, Helen 1833 & William 1838 all born Faup.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roxborough - Faup - Telfer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 06 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have a parish within Roxburgh for the births to help narrow it down?  I  know there was a Phaupknowe in Castleton parish as I have family with births recorded there.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

bervonian

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 06 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Despite searching various maps I cannot find Faup which I can only suppose was the name of a farm, within the Parish of Oxnam, which no longer exists.  The only mention of it is in the following website which I expect you know about:

www.jamesflack.com/tng500/placesearch.php?tree=&psearch=Roxburgh %

Sorry not to be of more help.

Bervonian.

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Granny Dot - my great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 06 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Could it perhaps be Phaup?  As we all know spellings constantly change.

There is a Phaup near Castleweary/Teviothead.  There is also a Phaup near the head of the Ettrick Water.

Debbie
DICKSON, COWAN, ARMSTRONG, MARTIN - Roxburghshire
MITCHELL, MCCORMICK, CAMERON, CLEGG - Argyllshire
HOY - Essex, Australia
GRUNDY - Berkshire, Australia
ROPER - Hampshire, Australia
GILLIES - Aberdeenshire, Australia
BANKHEAD - Ireland?, Australia

bervonian

« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 06 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Debbie, you've cracked it  ;D   I found this on a website, "Between 1802-1806 he was a Shepherd in Faup (now known as Pwawhope) at the head of the River Ettrick."
Go to www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap
Click on "I want to Get-a-map now !"
Enter the postcode TD7 5JD and you'll see the farm of Nether Pwawhope and Pwawhope Hill.  One click to the south-west will show Over Pwawhope.

Bervonian.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 November 06 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everybody, that seems about right, the info I was given was Faup, but considering it was 1800 the name could have changed since that time.  As some of the Telfer family went to Australia to do with sheep, that fits.

Thank you Bevonian, I didn't know about that web site as the Douglas side was what I was mainly concerned about through his first wife Elizabeth Mable.

Beckey.

Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline Green-Bowler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 07 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am also researching the Telfer/Telfords I was sent this hope it helps..

Here lies James Murray who died January 1681. Likewise Helene Elliot his spouse who died February 1691. Also Margaret Baitie spouse to Adam Murray in Mains, she died 27th August 1731 aged 63. Also the said Adam Murray who died 25th December 1738 aged 80. Also Jean Little spouse to James Murray who died 29th September 1743 aged 43. Also John Murray son to James Murray who died 12th September 1749 aged 14. And Adam Murray their son who died at Newcastleton 8th March 1816 aged 88. Also Margaret Hutton his spouse who died at Phaupknow 13th February 1775 aged 54. Also Janet Little spouse to John Murray who died at Sorby 23rd February 1806 aged 31. Adam Murray their son who died 26th March 1806 aged 6. Michael their son who died 21st July 1806 aged 2.

John

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 January 07 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for the info, none of the names mentioned are in my wife's tree as far as I can make out.

The Telfer side is a marriage of a Walter Douglas (2nd wife) Jean Telfer, m. 26.12.1828 Jedburgh, parents William Telfer & Janet Nichol m 1793 Oxnam, info. from a Norm Gaskin.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beckey,

Did you know that Jane Telfer had a son before she married Walter Douglas? His name was Thomas Shiels, after his reputed father, and he was born about 1826. I have copies of his marriage and death certificates. They didn't let you forget anything in those days - even his death cert carries the notation that he was illegitimate. It also says that his mother Jane Telfer later married a man whose surname was Douglas and who was a farm worker (your Walter was an ag lab in 1841 and an overseer in 1851) so I'm reasonably certain we are talking about the same Jane Telfer.

Do you happen to know when Jane died? On Thomas's marriage certificate of 1865 he states that his father is deceased; Jane doesn't have "deceased" written after her name - but I can't find her in the 1861 census.

I'm not related to any of these folk as far as I know, but I've been searching for my very own Thomas Shiels and have picked up a lot of information about other men of the same name. I've become quite fond of them, in fact, and I like to tie up the loose ends...

Cheers,
Eve