Author Topic: grave lookups - bolton on dearne and dinnington  (Read 4497 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
grave lookups - bolton on dearne and dinnington
« on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to find a couple of graves. One is of my ggg grandma Sarah Fulford. She died in 1904 at 160 Furlong Lane in Bolton on Dearne. She was 78.
I wonder if anyone could give me any pointers as to where she would be buried?

And also the grave of Luke Fulford died 15th November 1915 at 2 Leeds Terrace Dinnington. He was in his mid 50's.

I am 500 mile away and would be very grateful for any help.

thank you very much
Alsion
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
Re: grave lookups - bolton on dearne and dinnington
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 06 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I've looked and can't find Sarah, but there is an entry for a "Luke FULFORD" at St Leonard's, Dinnington on 18 Nov 1913  age 53.  Are you sure that yours died in 1915?   

~ Claire
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 06 19:03 GMT (UK) »
that will be luke thank you - i got the dates of another descendant - he must have got it wrong...so he's in st leonards - is that the one with the hedge surrounding it next to tesco do you know - cos thats where his wife isabella is
thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Gee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bertie Bloomfield 1898 - 1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 06 19:31 GMT (UK) »
...so he's in st leonards - is that the one with the hedge surrounding it next to tesco do you know - cos thats where his wife isabella is
thanks
Alison

Hi Alison,

I would say that is the cemetery you are looking to find Luke from that period in time. I would be more than happy to check it out for you.  My g grandfather and g grandmother are both buried there.

Gregg
Dublin: Bloomfield, Short<br />Yorkshire: Bloomfield, Chambers, Mottram, Hayes<br />Derbyshire:  Batty, Savage, Leah, Hempstock<br />Nottinghamshire: Hempstock, Chambers, Hepworth, Taylor

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:58 GMT (UK) »
your joking! thats where iv been and found his wifes gravestone! I bet you anything he's on the same stone - you see the grave has sunk or somethings happened to it anyway - it used to stand like a big tomb grave solid marbel - really posh grave and now theres just a foot and half high gravestone - i bet you he's on the same one beneath the ground...how sad is that?

Thanks for the offer - if you want directions to her gravestone - you enter the graveyard rfom the top end and walk down the clope to the bottom right of the graveyard - theres a big tree hangs right over her grave - you can walk under it - its a white marble stone. thats his wife - but she died in 1936

Thanks very much anyway
Alison

Offline Gee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 06 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Most of the head stones in there have sunk for some reason. I guess it is something to do with subsidance due to mining in the area.
I'll go and take a look and see what I can find for you.

Gregg

Dublin: Bloomfield, Short<br />Yorkshire: Bloomfield, Chambers, Mottram, Hayes<br />Derbyshire:  Batty, Savage, Leah, Hempstock<br />Nottinghamshire: Hempstock, Chambers, Hepworth, Taylor

Offline Gee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 November 06 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Just got back. It's a while since I have been up there and
I have to say that cemetery is in very poor condition.

From your directions I went straight to Isabellas grave which reads:

In Loving Memory
Isabella Fulford
Passed away Dec 12th 1936
Aged 73
Treasured memories

I scrubbed the grass away as well as I could and there doesn't look to be any sign of further inscription on the headstone at all.
I (along with the kids) searched all the other graves, and couldn't find anything at all for Fulford. We went around twice and double checked.
As you enter the cemetery from the top, there is open ground between the entrance (basically, a gap in the hedge) and where the majority of the graves start. In this area there is just the odd headstone dotted about. I think this area is where there are many unmarked graves. Going on how the graves are dated the earlier ones would be in this area, and I feel sure this is where Luke would be buried.

We then called into the church and checked the small number of headstones in there. I am pleased to say this graveyard is in a very tidy condition.
As I suspected, the graves in there are much earlier, mainly 1800's. The latest date I could find was 1905.

Luke must be buried in the cemetery we checked next to Tesco. There are no other cemeterys in the area that are associated to St Leeonards that would have burials from that particular period in time. The only other one is much more modern.

Sorry I couldn't find more for you.

Regards
Gregg  :)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 06 11:47 GMT (UK) »
hi thanks very much for going to look...yes the cmetry is in poor condition - i was there a couple of moths ago myslef but i didnt have much time nd also didnt then know about lukes death and burial. if luke was buried in the same grave as isablla then he should be at the top shouldnt he as he died first? An shes obviously the first on the grave...But it beats me why they are not in the same grave and also why isabella is alone there...I cant believe that he would be in an unmarked grave - if you saw the pic of how isabellas grave used to be they obviously had a bit of money to pay for a grave like that. the family also did emigrate to america much earlier so they werent completely skint - obviously they came back.

Thanks for looking - and thank the kids for me lol
When i was there i took note of the dinnigton church phone number - the one on the junction - do you think they would know - arent they sposed to have burial maps or something?
Alison

Offline Gee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 06 13:19 GMT (UK) »
if luke was buried in the same grave as isablla then he should be at the top shouldnt he as he died first? An shes obviously the first on the grave.

That is exactly what I thought. There was clear stone for a good ten inches below where the inscription finished. No sign of any other writing.

I cant believe that he would be in an unmarked grave
Maybe Luke was not buried in an unmarked grave. The area I spoke of could well at one time have accommodated headstones. If the others are any thing to go on, it is not the most solid ground. Hence the reason why so many have fell over under their own weight.
Also there was no trace of Thomas Fulford (mentioned in PM) at any of the graves. 

When i was there i took note of the dinnigton church phone number - the one on the junction - do you think they would know - arent they sposed to have burial maps or something?

Yeah, the church on the junction is St Leonards.
It may be worthwhile getting in touch. They should have records of their burials. Although many church records are held elsewhere these days. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Gregg  :)