Author Topic: Spackman...Essex regions  (Read 2284 times)

Offline jard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Spackman...Essex regions
« on: Sunday 19 November 06 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Any Spackmans from around the West Ham, Grays, Wanstead areas, dating from early 1600's to 1900
Dobbins / Cullen / Walsh / Kenny    (Ireland...Dublin)
Ticehurst / Elliott / Reed / Potter / Baulcom / Verrall    ( Sussex)
Spackman / Lighten / Leighton     ( Essex)
Martin / Jukes      ( Kent....Maidstone....Farleigh)

Offline Morelli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spackman...Essex regions
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
I am researching my Spackman links in the Orsett area.
Samuel Spackman, christened 20 November 1785 St Mary Magdalene, North Ockendon and his family including John, christened 10 February 1816 St Michael, Aveley.  Samuel's wife, Judith (nee Wright), is a mystery.
John moved to Middlesex and 'married' - no trace of official records - Susanna Baley from Rickenhall, Suffolk.  A son Henry, who's claim to fame were appearances at the Old Bailey, being my great grandfather.  Henry's wife remarried as a widow, however I have never been able to establish when Henry died.
CLAXTON, CHEEK, LAVENDER, SPACKMAN  Essex
MACHIN, MORELLI, SPACKMAN Middlesex/London
HAMBLY, HUGO, KEAST Cornwall
WOLLASTON Middlesex
HUGGETT Sussex/London/Kent

Offline jard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
I have some of the info but have a discrepancy on a couple of dates !!
I have  Samuel Spackman baptised on 31/3/1782 in N Ockendeden, and  died 1856.
Samuel wed Judith Wright ( b 1787 in Grays)   ..no death year for her.

They had 3 children
John b 1815....Jane b1817....Samuel b 1818.

John wed Susannah Bailey in 1839 they had 4 children
Rebecca c 1858
Jane c1859
Judith c 1860
Henry c 1861

Sorry I don't have a wife name for Henry ,nor any history or death date.

Any of this any use, and have I got any of my facts wrong ?????

I also have more of Samuels family including  parents, grand parents and great grandparents back to 1677 (if you haven't yet found them !!!)

Jard

Dobbins / Cullen / Walsh / Kenny    (Ireland...Dublin)
Ticehurst / Elliott / Reed / Potter / Baulcom / Verrall    ( Sussex)
Spackman / Lighten / Leighton     ( Essex)
Martin / Jukes      ( Kent....Maidstone....Farleigh)

Offline Morelli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
If I can break with convention and work backwards, this is some of the detail I have, all surnames Spackman unless indicated otherwise
Henry born 6 November 1861; 2 Oriel Cottages, De Beauvoir Road to John and Susannah formally Bailey.
1861 Census John , Susan with children Jane, Walter and Samuel; 3 Beauvoir Road.  John born Aveley and Susan, Rickenhall.
Jane born 8 February 1854; Clinger Street to John and Susannah formally Bailey.   
1851Census has a John Spackman at Purfleet (an unusual entry being squeezed onto a line with another entry) shown as a lodger and unmarried – no age or location of birth!   
1851 Census Samuel and Judy with William, ages 66, 61 and 41 at Aveley.  Judy like Samuel are shown as being from North Ockendon.
1841 Census Samuel and Judy, ages 55 and 45 at Aveley.
Turning to Susannah Baley (variously spelled Baily, Bailey, Bayley) baptised 31 October 1819 in Rickenhall Superior, Suffolk to Edward and Sarah.
1851 Census Susannah Bayley as an unmarried house servant aged 35 in Whitechapel.
1841 Census Susan Bailey aged 21 living with her parents in Rickinghall.
So where did the marriage of John Spackman and Susannah Baily in 1839 take place? Odd that two years later she is appearing as unmarried living with her parents and in 1851 she is still being shown as unmarried in Whitechapel. 
I am not convinced that the John Spackman baptised 10 February 1816 at St Michael, Aveley, is the father of Henry and siblings as the later ages given on Censuses and death certificate I have don’t tie up.  As an aside there are (at least) two Samuel Spackman headed families in the North Ockendon/Aveley area.  I have the death of Samuel died 17 May 1856 in the Union Workhouse, Orsett, but again given that there are two Samuel Spackmans is this the right one?
CLAXTON, CHEEK, LAVENDER, SPACKMAN  Essex
MACHIN, MORELLI, SPACKMAN Middlesex/London
HAMBLY, HUGO, KEAST Cornwall
WOLLASTON Middlesex
HUGGETT Sussex/London/Kent