Author Topic: Coupar Angus...is this in Angus!!!  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Coupar Angus...is this in Angus!!!
« on: Monday 20 November 06 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, am wanting to make sure where Coupar Angus is because my ancestors May Mill & John McLauchlan married there in 1824 & would love to know which church or anything about their marriage.
Many thanks,
Tiffaney
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Coupar Angus...is this in Angus!!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 06 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiffaney,

Coupar Angus was originally split across the county boundary between Angus and Perthshire. In 1892/1893 when many parish and county boundaries were re-aligned to make whole parishes in whole counties Coupar Angus was placed wholly in Perthshire (as a result of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889).

For GROS's (General Register Office for Scotland) record keeping purposes, Coupar Angus was regarded as in Angus up to 1892 (registration district 279), and in Perthshire from 1893 (registration district 341b).

ADP

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 06 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ADP -your posting was extremely informative so will copy & keep in my new folder of Parishes.
My g.g.grandparents were married there in 1824 (279) so where would I send to for their marriage cert.
Cheers, Tiffaney
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 06 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiffaney,

Statutory registration in Scotland did not start until 1855, so there will not be a wedding certificate as such. Instead you are more likely to find an entry in the Old Parochial Register (OPR).

For a marriage, you are more likely to find a record of the couple giving their name for proclamation of banns - the stage that precedes the marriage. If you are lucky it may also say that the marriage followed, but that is often not stated, whether it happened or not.

A typical OPR entry for a "marriage" will be like the following.
"1824, July 31st. John Black and Janet White, both of this parish gave their names for proclamation in order to marriage."

It is less common for information regarding their address or occupation to be given, so if you get that, regard it as a bonus.

There are various ways for you to obtain a copy of the OPR page:
  • Send away to New Register House, Edinburgh (see the GROS website for details of costs).
  • Go to your local Latter Day Saints (LDS) Family History Centre (FHC) and order in the microfilm for you to view. Most LDS FHCs have a microfilm viewer that can print the image from the microfilm. There is a small fee for them getting that particular microfilm in for you, plus a small charge for the photocopying.
  • Wait until the OPRs come online on the ScotlandsPeople website. Currently only the index is available, but it is hoped that the images will come online sometime in the next few months. Then for a fee, you can download a copy to your PC and print it off yourself.
  • If you are within travelling distance of Edinburgh, then the microfilm can be viewed in the Scottish Genealogy Society Library or New Register House. Similarly if you are within travellling distance of Perthshire, then the microfilm should be available in the AK Bell Library in Perth, (and I guess probably in the North Perthshire Family History Group's premises described in one of the posts above.

ADP

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again ADP for all your info. Botheration ..was hoping to confirm from the marriage cert. if John was born in Moulin or Dunbeath & also who is parents & hopefully siblings..
Living in New Zealand the latter suggestion are out at the mo' but the first two will try in the meantime & later SP.
You are a mine of info. am learning more all the time. Much appreciated.
Ceers, Tiffaney

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiffaney,

Another possibility on an OPR "proclamation of banns" record is if you are lucky and it says John Black of Dunbeath Parish and Janet White of this Parish.

The parish(es) named I believe to be the parish of current residence, not necessarily the same as parish of birth.

Have you found them on the censuses on the ScotlandsPeople website?

The level of information in the 1841 census is usually a bit vague. The place of birth question is answered by "Y" (yes, born in this county), "N" (no, born in another county in Scotland), "E" (England), "I" (Ireland) or "F" (Foreigner).

If you can find them on 1851 or later census, you should get a birth county and town/village/parish for within Scotland, or a country name if outside of Scotland.

ADP

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi ADP..thanks so much for continuing to help.
Last year I wrote to the Sennachie of MacLachlan Clan..here is what he sent me.
John McLauchlan b. 1801, farm servant parish of Coupar Angus (must have been working there)  married Marjery Milne from neighbouring Parish of Cargill in Coupar Angus 26 Dec. 1824.
Four children baptised in Perth Burgh (mother referred to as May Milne & twice May Mill)
Ann -10 Dec. 1825
John -11 August 1828
May/Mey -11 Sept 1831
William -2 June 1836
In 1831 the family lived in Hillyland
"   1836 they were on Friarton or Moncrieffe Island in the River Tay.
1841 Census (851)
In Hillyland , Parish of Tibbermore lived 2 McLauchlan families Thomas McLauchlan had died but his widow Helen had married William Bain.
Robert McLauchlan & Margaret Taylor had a large family. (They are possible brothers)
On 1851 census -
In Evelick, Parish of Kilspindie, Perthshire:
John McLachlane (different spelling) Head widower -48yrs -Farm Labourer.
May McLachlane - daug - 18yrs
James McLachlane - son - 12yrs -scholar.
James was born St. Martins.
After that epistle still don't know where he was born or his parents names.
Would I look at both Moulin & Dunkeld OPR's re his exact birth date in 1801 & would his parents names be there.
More questions!!!!
Thank you,
Tiffaney

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 November 06 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tiffaney,

If I were you I'd have a look at the 1851 census on Scotlands People, it should say where he was born, but I see this is omitted from the info you were given.

Jean :)
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 06 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,
Both you & ADP thought where John was born should be on 1851 census on SP so will have to join. They say great minds think alike!! Thanks.
cheers, Tiffaney