Author Topic: Sutherland marrying Sutherland. Where & when..plse help.  (Read 14184 times)

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sutherland marrying Sutherland. Where & when..plse help.
« on: Tuesday 21 November 06 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Desperation is creeping in to my search for details of my g.grandmother Christina Sutherland born Dunbeath, Caithness 16 Nov. 1835-1838. Have been trying Caithness site but now feel her parents William Sutherland & Christina Sutherland formerly Sutherland) may have lived & married in Sutherland around 1800.
A witness at Christina's marriage in 1868 (New Zealand) was a James Sutherland, farmer.
She is on IGI (daughter) died NZ1912.
Ever hopeful.  Thankyou,
cheers Tiffaney.
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline Kiwigal

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • T'is a long and winding road I travel
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland marrying Sutherland. Where & when..plse help.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiffaney,
Is there a possibility that your Sutherland's emigrated to NZ from Nova Scotia with the Reverend Norman McLeod, there was about 700 of them  (immigrants) that came out to NZ during the 1850's including Sutherland's. Most settled in Waipu but a lot also moved around the country.
There are a lot of passenger lists available on line, a good search line for google is " Waipu Scots pasenger lists". Another place to check out is the Waipu Settlers Museum.
I don't have time at the moment to go into detail but if you do find a link to one of these families let me know as I have quite a large data base on these immigrants and might be able to help more.

Then again I could be sending you on a wild goose chase, but it is worth considering as the time frame is right.
All the best
Kiwigal
DURRANT,CORNWELL,HAFFENDEN-SUSSEX
HONEYBUN,HANN,BARTLETT,WHITE-DORSET
PETTERD,FORRESTOR-LONDON
SPICE-GOUDHURST,KENT

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 06 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Kiwigal for your suggestions. Anything is possible & worth investigating..had a quick look yesterday & will look more carefully in the weekend.
Daughter Christina came out on the "Lincoln"  to Lyttelton in 1867 but no other of her family were with her.
Cheers, Tiffaney :)
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline merlinnz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm a MacLeod with bunches of Sutherlands in my tree. I'm also in NZ. I know an Alexander Robert Sutherland settled in Martinborough in or about 1839. He was an uncle to my mcLeod's. Our lot married a bunch of his daughters...

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your info. Merlinnz.
Your Alexander Robert Sutherland must have been one of the earliest Sutherlands to come to NZ.
Could you plse tell me where he was from & who & where he married.
Also if not too much trouble the names & birth dates of their children.
cheers Tiff

Offline merlinnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 May 07 02:16 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the McLeod's so don't have as much on the sutherlands, or as much detail

Alexander Robert Sutherland was born at Badbea, Latheron, Caithnes
His sister Christian (Christina) Sutherland was born at Badbea, Latheron, Caithness she married John McLeod on 5 may 1822

Their father was William Sutherland of badbea. He married twice. Alexander's mother was W Sutherland's second wife, ad she was also a Sutherland from Fuchton Loch (Catherine Sinclair)

Alexander & Christian's grandfather was David Sutherland of Dusdale.

Alexander took up land at Upper Pahau, now known as Hinakura.

Alexander's daughter Catherine married James Mcleod, their home known as the gums is in good order in Dublin St, Martinborough.

Alexander's oldest son was William he married Esther McLeod (James younger sister) William and Esther had a daughter Elizabeth who married Donald Cameron and went to live at Moeraki, Hingakura. Their descendants still own the property.

Christina McLeod (nee sutherland above) had a son, Farquar (my great great grandfather) he married a Sutherland, Jane Ogilvie and they married in 1859 at Caithness. They boarded the Mataoka and arrived in Wellington 13 spet 1859.

Offline merlinnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 May 07 02:42 BST (UK) »
Sutherland     Alexander     34     
   Eppa    28    
   Christina    7months    
   Katherine    Born at sea

This could bethe alexander, above, arrived in NZ on the Oriental

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ourstuff/Oriental.htm

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 May 07 03:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Merlinnz.

Have printed out the details you posted to look further into your Sutherlands for a connection to mine,
Tiff

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 07 15:38 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the McLeod's so don't have as much on the sutherlands, or as much detail

Alexander Robert Sutherland was born at Badbea, Latheron, Caithnes
His sister Christian (Christina) Sutherland was born at Badbea, Latheron, Caithness she married John McLeod on 5 may 1822

Their father was William Sutherland of badbea. He married twice. Alexander's mother was W Sutherland's second wife, ad she was also a Sutherland from Fuchton Loch (Catherine Sinclair)

Alexander & Christian's grandfather was David Sutherland of Dusdale.

Alexander took up land at Upper Pahau, now known as Hinakura.

Alexander's daughter Catherine married James Mcleod, their home known as the gums is in good order in Dublin St, Martinborough.

Alexander's oldest son was William he married Esther McLeod (James younger sister) William and Esther had a daughter Elizabeth who married Donald Cameron and went to live at Moeraki, Hingakura. Their descendants still own the property.

Christina McLeod (nee sutherland above) had a son, Farquar (my great great grandfather) he married a Sutherland, Jane Ogilvie and they married in 1859 at Caithness. They boarded the Mataoka and arrived in Wellington 13 spet 1859.
I recently found a book in my house called "Sutherlands of Ngaipu" by Alexander Sutherland, published in 1947 in New Zealand. It was my great great auntie Mary Sutherland's (b.1878, Markinch, Fife, Scotland) book, which ended up at her niece's place, and then at my house when she died in 1997. I'm only a few chapters into it, but there are some actual photos (glued in!) from the area and there's also a fold-out family tree at the back. Now, I know I'm not related to these Sutherlands, but there must be a connection somehow. Inside the book it says, "Best wishes to Mary Sutherland, from Mary Leitch." On the family tree at the back, there's a David Sutherland (1854-1933) m. Helen Ross, and their first child was Mary. Someone's written "m. Leitch" next to it, so I assume this is our Mary Leitch... perhaps the link between the two Mary Sutherlands is just the fact they have the same name, but how on earth would they know of each other's existence, considering one lives in New Zealand, and the other in Fife??

On closer inspection is seems the Alexander Sutherland who wrote the book is Mary Leitch's (née Sutherland) brother... grandson of the Alexander Sutherland mentioned in this thread.

I appear to have gotten side-tracked somewhat! I was really just going to say if anyone wants any info on the book or whatever then let me know. It's pretty poorly written, and a bit confusing at times, but interesting nonetheless.
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon