Author Topic: Occupation 'writer' in Scotland  (Read 6489 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Occupation 'writer' in Scotland
« on: Tuesday 21 November 06 09:48 GMT (UK) »
John HASTINGS was the son of a grain miller.

The family must ahve been quite well to do (and they are related to me??) as their sons entered the professions (apart from my lot!)

John is found on the 1881 census in Arran as a law clerk (managing)

He died in Dumbarton in 1889 of chronic bronchitis and Brights disease.  On his death cert his occupation is hard to read, but looks like 'writer'.

I am assuming that this means writer of laws, but I wondered if anyone with experience of the Scots legal system could explain or correct me, please?

What was the career ladder?  Is this the equivalent of a solicitor?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation 'writer' in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 09:56 GMT (UK) »
This reply from the Scotsman defines it clearly
http://heritage.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1419&id=1046272006

"Writer" in this context is an old word for lawyer or attorney in Scotland and solicitors in Scotland would have been known as "writers". Writers to the Signet had special privileges in relation to certain types of documentation requiring the Signet. The Signet was the private seal of the early Scottish kings, and the Writers to the Signet were authorised to supervise its use and, later, to act as clerks to the Courts. You will find many solicitors or writers listed in The Register of the Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet, with dates of parents, birth, marriage and death. The names of lawyers also appear in law lists or directories, most notably the Scottish Law List, which was previously called Index Juridicus and dates from 1848.

Solicitors in the 17th and 18th centuries qualified by apprenticeship followed by an oral examination. In the 19th century attendance at Scottish university law courses in Edinburgh, Glasgow or Aberdeen became a common feature in a Scottish solicitor's education. An Act of Sederunt of the Court of Session in 1865 said all procurators, writers and law agents must apprentice for at least three years and satisfy the examination requirements of their society or faculty. Attendance at university was often the best way to acquire the knowledge for the exams, and for Writers to the Signet and Solicitors of the Supreme Court, it was compulsory. This often meant no more than showing up for the classes, as more normally it was the society's own exams that were sat rather than those offered by the university. More information on the training of solicitors can be found in The Laws of Scotland: Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia, Vol 13.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Well that is pretty comprehensive!  Thank you very much Falkyrn.

I assume that he and his brother Walter must have attended university: Walter became a doctor and was listed as a medical student in 1891.  It still amazes me how Scots families managed to send their children to be educated, despite being of relatively humble means.

Now I have a dilemma.  John left no will, but there is an inventory on SP - I might just call it Christmas Shopping!!  ;D

If anyone has info on Scottish university admission, and where to find records for the 1880s - 90s I would be grateful for that too!

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 10:52 GMT (UK) »
At that time there would have been three Universities Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. Andrews each would appear to maintain their own archives

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/collects/summary.html

lists what Glasgow has and a contact email address for the archivist

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again - my dad is also a graduate of Glasgow, should've asked him!

If they come up with anything interesting I will post it here.