Author Topic: Trouble reading a Will  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Pip24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble reading a Will
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thanks Prue, I compared your transcription with mine and other than you having words where I had xxx :), and me having “our” instead of “one” it was the same with the exception of the suit which I thought was “cloth”, but was actually “black” .  I then checked your transcription against the image and think it is spot on.  Thank you so much. It makes much more sense now. I hadn’t made out the feather bed and bolster before!

Trouble is, I am now confused.  Grandson Richard was the third child of Richard and Ann, born 1808.  My GGGG Grandfather William was 3 years older. I wonder why he didn’t get a mention?

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I noticed a few typos in my transcription - those aren't in the original!  e.g. "suilver" for silver.   :-[ ;)

Maybe Richard the grandson was the only one not yet established in a career or in school and that's why he got some money?  What does the rest of that sentence say?  How old were the other grandkids at this stage?

Prue

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 November 06 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pip - It's great that Prue has been able to transcribe the will so well.

My 4xGt.Grandfather was mentioned in his mother's will together with his eldest daughter but the younger daughter (my 3xGt Grandma ) received not a mention - I have often wondered why  ::)

I have someone in Australia transcribing another will for me at the moment - I was sure there was something written about " saucepan lids " but may well be wrong  ::)

Kind regards and welcome to Rootschat.

Offline Pip24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 November 06 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue, don't worry about the typos I know what you meant and am so pleased you filled all those gaps for me.

Emmeline - saucepan lids would be great. The only other Will I have looked at for my family was just one paragraph which just said split everything I have equally. I much prefer the ones with specific items listed.  I'm so pleased GGGGGGGranny had a feather bed!  Thanks again Prue.

According to the baptism records Richard & Ann had:
Wiliam born Feb 1805, baptised April 1805 (he is my GGGG Granddad so did survive)
Elizabeth born Aug 1806, baptised Jan 1807
Richard baptised Nov 1808 and born January (the year is unlcear but looks like 1808 which would fit with the age at which the others were baptised)
Thomas born after Granny's death.

The bit in brackets after Richard is first mentioned says "if he shall survive to proper age", then some more I can't make sense of...

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 November 06 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I think that the last part reads

"an apprentice to a decent business  Item I give and"

Item is used to indicate that a separate bequest or part of the will follows.

Hope this helps,

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 November 06 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Seems like my hunch about Richard's inheritance was right  :)
Perhaps she had already provided some money for the other boy (and possibly Elizabeth too) but wanted to make sure Richard got a headstart too  :)  What a nice gran she was  :)

You're very welcome Pip - and thanks Jean, for filling in the last bit  :D

I have absolutely NO wills for anyone in my family  :'(

Prue

Offline Pip24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 November 06 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both, that does all make sense.  Would Granny have paid for her elder grandson's apprenticeship before he was 5?

I know the eldest grandchild, William, became a Printer, but in the 1850s was also selling beer, then moved to London before 1861. He had a lot of daughters, and I assume printing in Devon wasn't doing so well. Rather sadly he died a pauper in a workhouse in Edmonton. A very different life to Granny and her featherbed and silver spoons.  I'm going to try and find out what became of Richard.

Its a shame you have no Wills for your family Prue - you are so good at reading them!

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 November 06 10:20 GMT (UK) »
The irony is not lost on me, Pip!  ::)  I know at least some of my ancestors had enough money/goods and chattels to have warranted wills, but sadly none have come to light.  I just get my jollies by reading other peoples' rellies' wills!  ;D  There's one on hubby's side but I haven't got hold of it yet - it's after the cutoff date for the National Archives online ones, so I need to order it differently.

It is very possible that Granny could have paid for William's apprenticeship too.  If you ever get hold of his apprenticeship papers you might find that out, but I'm not sure whether that information woudl have been recorded or not.

Prue

Offline Pip24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 November 06 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Prue.

I have apprenticeship documents for a shoemaker ancestor, but it just tells me how much was paid, not who paid it. I'll see if I can find any documents for William.

I have looked for children of Ann Higgins and it appears her first child wasn't born until after the Will was proved so wouldn't have received any money from Granny.

There is another chunk of the Will that I am struggling with. I don't think it will help identify any relatives, but would like to know what it says.  I think it mentions appointing Richard as executor of the Will, funeral expenses and the sum of £160.   Can I be cheeky and ask for more help?