Author Topic: Rose Ida DICK 1901  (Read 8428 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Ida DICK 1901
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the information! The details found for Henry samuel Varney are correct with my research and I cannot see that he had a sister that could have been Faney or Fanny or Frances. However, on the 1891 census there was a servant called fanny Toogood working for the family of Joseph and Martha Johnson (who have connections with the Varney family) living at woolmer, Castle Road Carisbrooke IOW - so that might be worth checking!

Re Robert Dick- I do not think that the Robert Dick who died on naval service is our one, more so because his widow was Margaret whilst our Robert Dick was married to Ellen Edwards.
I am somewhat confused as earlier research on this posting seemed to indicate that Robert Dick fathered a child in 1918 in Christchurch so this could not be the same one who died in 1915. The Robert Dick in my research was definitely born c 1870 and my records show that in 1881 he was with his parents at Ferniegair, Hamilton, Lanarkshire. The service death record for Robert Dick in 1915 shows he was born at Dalserf which is no more than 5 miles from Ferniegair- all very confusing as it would seem that the surname of Dick in Scotland is as prevelent as the surname of Jones in wales!
It would seem the only way to clarify this is to establish the age of the Robert dick who died in 1915 and maybe find more info on the birth of a child in 1918 in Christchurch with the surname of Dick (mother Edwards). Any ideas?
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Of all the people in the whole of the UK,surname Dick, who's deaths are transcribed in 1915 on FreeBMD not one of them is for a Robert Dick!

I agree that the naval man Robert Dick isn't yours but I think it could be is his death record in 1914 on FreeBMD.

I agree about the surname being very popular. I will look some more and see if I can dig up anything else.

Ellen Kate/Lily's death cert would be interesting to read.

Offline Lms1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi my Grannie was Olive Dick of this family.  My dad is trying to find out about his Grandad Robert Dick and the family. Thanks for the info on here. He had some of this information already but this has added to it.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 27 December 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lms- I have quite a bit on this family and am happy to share what I have. If you are able to, please send me a personal message and we will chat off the main feed. If you are unable to do this, please post on this thread which gaps you are looking to fill and I will do my best to help.
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline Lms1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 27 December 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline
Thanks for the quick reply.  I am missing a date for when Robert married Ellen/Lily if you know it?
Not sure what else Dad wants to know. Thanks
Lisa

Offline Llppkk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 27 December 18 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa and Caroline

Just read the post.  My Husband Richard's Granddad was Norman (normie) Dick, he was always called Norman although that was one of his middle names.  His mother was Rose Ida Dick, and he was Olive's bother.  He never talked about his family, and always told us he was a Barnardo's child.  We have only recently found out about him living in Bournemouth and his parent's.  We would love to hear more, it has always been a bit of a mystery.    Many Thanks Jacqui

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 27 December 18 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I wonder if this is the John Harry N Dick that i have in my research as born Dec Q 1905 Christchurch. Bearing in mind that he would only have been just over 12 months old when his mother Rose Ida dick died in January 1907 I wonder what happened to the children? I think maybe we now need to look o the 1911 Census for them all.
Please send me a personal message and I will do what  I can to help.
I have not opened this particular file for a few years now so am having to remind myself of the complicated story!
Caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 27 December 18 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I have traced all the children in 1911 and with the exception of Rose (born 1896) who is employed at an address in Springbourne, Pokesdown all the children- including 'Normie' Dick are at home with Robert Dick and Lily (presumably Ellen Kate).
Hope this helps! I will now did a bit deeper and update what I find. My main line has been to track Euphemia but happy to help with the others or as rwquested.
Caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 27 December 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
My previous long explanation does not seem to have been posted.
here is the outline for Rose Ida Dick - part of my husband's tree- as I have researched thus far.
If there are any glaring errors from what you know from the family please let me know!
I would love to find out more from family members as family knowledge with my husband is very sketchy and so i have had to research the hard way.
Here we go-
Rose Ida henning was born 1874. her sister sarah known as Kate had an illegitimate son and was subsequently sent to the isle of Wight to start afresh whilst the child was brought up by his grandparents.
Rose Ida Henning married on the IOW in 1894 to john Dick- Corporal in the Royal Artillery.
Rose and John Dick had 3 children- all born near Aldershot Barracks - Euphemai born 1895, Rose in 1896 and Elizabeth (Ida) born 1897.
John Dick died aged 31 in 1899 on the Scottish Register 'Service and war Returns'- Boer war?
Rose Ida dick then married John's brother Robert Dick on 31st July 1899 in Glasgow.
Their first child Robert was born on 27th June 1900 at Grey Street Larkhall Lanarkshire.
In 1901 Robert and Rose are living at Paislow Street Bothwell Lanarkshire with Euphemia, Rose, Elizabeth and baby Robert.
By 1902 they had moved back to Christchurch and in 1902 a son John leslie Dick was born and sadly died in the Sept Q 1902.
1903- daughter olive May was born followed by John harry Norman Dick in 1905.
In January 1907 Rose Ida Dick died of Uterine Cancer in Pokesdown and Robert then remarried as a widower to Ellen kate Edwards- widow-  (aka Lily) in Sept 1909 Christchurch.
Ellen brought with her 2 children william and Beatrice Ford from her first marriage in Somerset and they are all together in 1911 in Pokesdown.
Please send me a PM or post more into the thread if I can help more or if you need more info. More than happy to help and would love to be in touch with this part of my husband's family.
Caroline