Author Topic: Missing baptisms! Manchester  (Read 2304 times)

Offline andreajs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Missing baptisms! Manchester
« on: Wednesday 22 November 06 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am at a complete brick wall with a whole family who don't seem to have been baptized or are not in the records i would expect them to be.
Their parents married at Manchester Cathedral in 1808 and they had children right up to the 1820s but i can find no records of baptisms, does any one have any idea where i can look?
I spent a whole day looking through records of the cathedral and churches in Hulme, Chorlton on medlock and Ardwick and am at a complete loss.
I know in 1841 they were still living round the City centre

Any ideas would be great
Thanks Andrea
Paleys from Yorks
McCalls from Manchester
McVeighs from Manchester
Tattersalls from Lancs
Crightons from Manchester
Allens from Bury
Owens from Warrington
Hall from Hull
Best from Hull

Offline bursy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing baptisms! Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Andrea
Could you give us a bit more information, names, addresses, ?
Have you found them on any census returns ?

Regards, Dave

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

They might be Catholic & married at the Cathedral [Church of England] as this was the only recognised "legal" marriage at the time - they may have had a second marriage according to Catholic rites, elsewhere.

If this is the case, the baptisms will be in a Catholic church register somewhere - there are some in the Central Library in Manchester, but not all.

The other issue is that the original Manchester diocese was huge and people from outlying areas would have to pay a fee to the Cathedral & to the local church to marry in the locality, so many travelled in to Manchester & just paid once, but they didn't properly reside there.  It may be that you are looking in the wrong place altogether for the baptisms?

Do you have any later information from census etc to tie the children to specific areas of Manchester?

Good luck

SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andreajs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 06 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you Sandra for that information about them being Catholic as its possible, i am going to Manchester Central Library today and so will have a look at any they have!

Census information keeps the whole family around Hulme, Chorlton on Medlock, Ardwick right up until 1901.

I am looking for Martha Crighton c1815
                         William         "      c1813
                         Jane             "       c1820
                         Jennet           "       c1824
                         Samuel           "      c1825

In 1841 they are living at Duke Street, Manchester which i believe is around the City Centre,

Many thanks anyway, will see what i can dig up today
Regards Andrea
Paleys from Yorks
McCalls from Manchester
McVeighs from Manchester
Tattersalls from Lancs
Allens from Bury
Owens from Warrington
Hall from Hull
Best from Hull

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 November 06 08:02 GMT (UK) »
 My Irish Catholic ancestors, lived in the city centre, Deansgate, and also Hulme later. They attended St Mary's known as 'The Hidden Gem' 

http://www.thehiddengem.papalnet.co.uk/html/about_us.html 
but they were living in the area later than yours, the  1860's.
 I was told that the records of this church are kept at the Lancashire records office, Preston. 

Another branch of my  Irish catholic ancestors, who came from Ireland earlier in the 1800's,  lived in Salford and moved to Hulme later. I have not been working on this branch for quite a while, so I am rusty on the details, but I think they attended a  Catholic church in Salford  in the middle 1800's.  St Simons? However,  I have a feeling it was  not that old a church.
 One of the same family  was married at St John the Evangelist Catholic church, also middle 1800's might be worth looking at these?
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline andreajs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 November 06 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Griz
Many thanks for that link, it is certainly another possibility as i spent all day in Manchester yesterday and still nothing even in the non C of E records! Very fed up!!

Also had a walk round Deansgate and City Centre as i'm not very familiar with the back streets, i located the street they lived on in 1841 ( although its now a car park) and its virtually opposite the Cathedral.
Also had a go on the Manchester eye!!! fantastic

Anyway thanks for all your help, must go and persuade my husband that we need to go to Preston!
Regards Andrea
Paleys from Yorks
McCalls from Manchester
McVeighs from Manchester
Tattersalls from Lancs
Allens from Bury
Owens from Warrington
Hall from Hull
Best from Hull

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 November 06 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Good hunting,  Andrea!  :)

I wish I lived closer so I could have a wander about that area too. I do have an old map( about early 1930's I thiink,  there is no date on it,)  that has  most of the old streets on it. So I can see, in a way, where they lived. I found some old photos online too of some streets. I suppose few of them remain.
  Let us know if you are successful.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline andreajs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 November 06 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Griz
That was a quick reply!!
many thanks and will definately let you know if i'm successful.
Fingers crossed :-X
regards Andrea
Paleys from Yorks
McCalls from Manchester
McVeighs from Manchester
Tattersalls from Lancs
Allens from Bury
Owens from Warrington
Hall from Hull
Best from Hull

Offline Biko

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 November 06 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Good hunting,  Andrea!  :)

I wish I lived closer so I could have a wander about that area too. I do have an old map( about early 1930's I thiink,  there is no date on it,)  that has  most of the old streets on it. So I can see, in a way, where they lived. I found some old photos online too of some streets. I suppose few of them remain.
  Let us know if you are successful.

Have you tried Google Earth? It isn't perfect but it can be useful particularly if you use it with older maps.
WORRALLS. HURST, HIGHFIELD
Manchester-Hulme, Deansgate, Earlstown (Newton in Makerfield) Chorlton on Medlock, Newton Heath, Ardwick.