Author Topic: Are US citizenship details available? Lookup or pointers, please.  (Read 5955 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Are US citizenship details available? Lookup or pointers, please.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 December 04 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Joanna,

Thank you for the kind words.  I will try to help you out the best I can. Medford is located in Middlesex County, Mass.

Researching Your Family's History at the Massachusetts Archives
http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcgen/genidx.htm#natural

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcres/residx.htm
Mass Archives- Research Services
The Archives' collections are public records and are open to all for research. A reference staff is available to help patrons find the information they need. Note that some materials may be restricted from use for reasons of privacy.

Although an appointment is not necessary to use Archives materials, a phone call may save you time or an unnecessary trip. Reference staff can answer questions, refer you to appropriate materials, or help you plan a research visit.

For additional information call 617-727-2816.

Guidelines for Mail, Phone, E-mail and Fax Requests
Information about resources for research can be requested by:

In person
220 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston MA 02125

By mail
Massachusetts Archives
220 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston MA 02125

By e-mail
archives@sec.state.ma.us

By fax
617-288-8429

Archives staff can do only brief research to answer questions based on information in Archives records.

If you are not able to visit the Archives to do research in person, you may want to hire a student or professional who can conduct research on your behalf.Queries are handled in the order received, and all responses will be sent by U.S. mail.Please include your full name, mailing address, and telephone number on all requests.

I hope this can get you stareted.  Please feel free to ask any questions and i will see what I can do!- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Joanna,

Just thought of something.  DId Mary Ellen marry an American or a naturalized citizen?  If so, she may have taken their citizenship upon marriage.  This happened to my great grandmother.  Her husband was naturalized in 1933 and she took his citizenship.  Naturlaizations are much easier to find for men.

Here is a link from the National Archives that explains this exception.
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/genealogy/research_topics/naturalization_records.html#loc

The first major exception was that "derivative" citizenship was granted to wives and minor children of naturalized men. From 1790 to 1922, wives of naturalized men automatically became citizens. This also meant that an alien woman who married a U.S. citizen automatically became a citizen. (Conversely, an American woman who married an alien lost her U.S. citizenship, even if she never left the United States.) From 1790 to 1940, children under the age of 21 automatically became naturalized citizens upon the naturalization of their father. Unfortunately, however, names and biographical information about wives and children are rarely included in declarations or petitions filed before September 1906. For more information about women in naturalization records, see Marian L. Smith, "Women and Naturalization, ca. 1802-1940,

- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nut kin and Kristin  thank you for your quick reply to my request.My gmother was already a citizen in 1900 .One of your team found her in the 1900 census living with a family named Taylor?it was hard to make the name out for sure ,she was down as a servant ,the only thing is her middle name was Ellen and on the census I thought it looked like a W the address was Pembroke st Medford. She married Edward F Ellis in 1903.Ive been trying for so long to find the ship she arrived on.She was born in Brideswell
    Athlone so she would leave either from Dublin or Cork.Her husband was an American .Thank you again Kristin for your info i will see what I can find out with what you have given me     Thanks    Joanna 
 P.S I live in Cheshire  England so I would,nt be able to visit the archives
                     bye for now