Author Topic: SCHOLES family  (Read 5239 times)

Offline elizabeth3

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCHOLES family
« on: Friday 24 November 06 02:43 GMT (UK) »
 :-*One of my brick walls concerns the SCHOLES family -  James SCHOLES (b. 1815 cc) had a daughter Matilda Jane SCHOLES (b. 1841 cc at Killyfuddy)and probably another daughter Maria.   Matilda married John MARTIN (b. 1840 at Ballyblogh) on 01.06.1866 at Newbliss Presbyterian Church when one of the witnesses was a Maria SCHOLES.   James SCHOLES was a farmer as was the MARTIN family.   Any information on this SCHOLES family would be much appreciated.  Elizabeth Gresty, W.A.

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SCHOLES family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 March 14 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Elizabeth,

By now I think you've found out that James Scholes of Killyfuddy's father was John Scholes/Schoales (who served in the 8th Light Dragoons under King George III), and his mother was Eliza (Elizabeth) Dodson of the Mountain Hill near Newbliss. There's a nice outline of the early ancestors on the Scholes Family UK web site, from notes written in the 1930s. The data on your immediate ancestors includes: "JAMES SCHOLES married Elizabeth. They had seven children, girls and one boy. Mrs. Archibald Gillis, and Mrs. Maria Dixon belong to the James Scholes family, also Mrs. Voss (she was a granddaughter)."

I'm not a Scholes descendant, but they're related to several of my County Monaghan families by marriage. I have a little more information on this family if you're still researching and would like to contact me.

Regards,
Annie

Offline fclaussen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne:

This is Fred Claussen in California.  I am contacting you because of your posting about John SCHOLES and Elizabeth DODSON of Mountain Hill by Newbliss.  Would you possibly have more information about these Dodsons?  My now deceased mum was Dodson by birth.  I have recently found a DNA connection to someone from Clones making me think that Elizabeth Dodson might have been of the same family as mine.

Thanks,

Fred Claussen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 20:05 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Elizabeth hasn't been logged in to Rootschat since 2012 and the email address she registered with is no longer valid so she might not get your message.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fclaussen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know.  Actually was trying to address to Annie Hadden

Fred

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 20:12 BST (UK) »
Annie was last online here in January so fingers crossed you get a reply from her.

Meanwhile, have you traced your mother's family to Ireland?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fclaussen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
Only by strong and (very early) inference.  My earliest confirmed Dodson ancestor just "showed up" in Talbot County, Maryland ~ 1720.

I have had two male Dodson descendants deeply YDNA tested (BigY 700 at FTDNA).  Their haplogroup emerged in Ireland c. 900 AD.  So we are dealing with a gap of ~ 800 years.   This was certainly before the widespread usage of surnames...

Then the next question is: Did they remain in Ireland in the intervening years or go to Scotland or England or...?

We may never know until the "next life" though it would certainly be nice to know now.

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SCHOLES family in Co. Monaghan & DNA testing
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 22:45 BST (UK) »
Fred,

Received notice of your recent message and will help you if I can. I don't have a lot on Dodsons (more on Schoales/Scholes) but I can point you to various sources that you might want to look at.

Your DNA test results seem to indicate that you have a good ancestor thread to follow. If you'll send a private message to me, we can exchange more data about this topic.

Regards,
Annie

Offline fclaussen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
Thank, Annie!  Will send you a private message.

Fred