Author Topic: LEMON  (Read 50702 times)

Offline Toddstown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James GRAY, c1597, in TODD of Haghill papers, Mitchell Lib, Glasgow
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Note that Geoffrey Todd of Banstead, Surrey, in 1968 (working on James Balderston's earlier research on TODD lines) mentions a James Gray the younger in Haghill, near Glasgow and his wife Cristaine Cliddisdaill,1596-98. Original source seems to be Commissarior of Glasgow books. Also a James GRAY senior in Haghill with wife Katharine MAYN is noted, 1597 deed/charter/sasine.  Mitchell Library in Glasgow has Geoffrey Todd's papers, etc.

So if some of the GRAYs and TODDs removed together to now Northern Ireland...

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LEMON
« Reply #46 on: Monday 25 January 10 14:49 GMT (UK) »
There were Todds living at Seaveagh, Tyholland Parish - they moved to Blackwatertown, County Tyrone.

Offline Toddstown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jhone TODE (TODD) & Bessy GYLHAGY, 1530, renters of Haghill,Carntyne, Glasgow
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I read about your church CD project.  I am not sure what the earliest TODDs you have within those Presbyterian records, but yes there are quite a few I hope that you have.  I do not know the cost of the CD, but I would consider getting one.  Could the Haghill TODDs who immigrated have settled in the earliest settlements near Co. Monaghan?  Would the church CD show the ones who removed to County Down and America...Hope springs eternal.

I noted today that there are more GRAY references than I noted in my earlier post.  George GRAY and Christaine ARMOR, his spouse [Doc A 9. Pg 179 Barony of Glasgow AD 1564 as specified on pg 94 of Geoffrey Todd's papers, Mitchell Lib, Glasgow].  An ARMOR married an early County Down TODD - I am only viewing a detailed typed abstract/report by Geoffrey Todd, 1968, not the original papers.

A Charles GRAY, merchant, and his burial plot [on pg 118 of Geoffrey Todd's papers] are adjacent to plots owned by James ARMOUR, merchant, and _____ AIKENS, and Robert MARSHALL grandfather of Robert Paterson, tailor in Paisley who conveyed this same MARSHALL plot to George TODD, portioner of Haghill. 

If this group could ultimately tie some pieces together....Could the Robert Marshall name also tie with the Ballymorran, by Killinchy, Co Down Robert MARSHALL & TODD families (abt 1800s-1850s)- wishful speculation here-- but yes this transfer of burial plot document date is 3 Mar 1715, Glasgow [ Doc C. 60, Geoffrey Todd papers, p 118]...

Note that your Co Cavan POLLOCK/POGUE names are also important to me (Glasgow roots), as are all the TODDs--There is also an very early walled Presby colony cemetery with Nesbitt/Todd burials which seems to have vanished...not in Co Down cemetery series...so maybe this too is in the church records...Could your records be the earliest Presby migration from Glasgow area...?  How wonderful of you to tackle the scanning and preservation.  That's tremendous! Thank you!

Offline dgclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 18 April 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
I ordered the civil marriage record off the IFHF for Thomas Gray and Mary Lemon today. I thought you would be interested to see its contents: Note the appearance of the name Elliott again!

Thomas Gray was the father of my grandfather, John Gray. He married Mary Elizabeth Lemon on 05 May 1891 in Armagh. His full name is Thomas Fredrick Gray. His father is listed as Joseph Gray, a coachman.

The witnesses were James J Elliott and Annie Quinne.

They were married in the Presbyterian Church by licence by J Elliott.

Offline dgclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
I just noticed a Gray/Boyd link. This is my grandfather's siblings and family. My grandfather, John Gray, was living with his grandparents, John and Harriet Lemon.

Residents of House Number 68 in Solway, Victoria, Down

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Victoria__part_of_/Solway/226768/

Clemina Lemon was Mary E's sister, so there's a good chance that Annie Boyd was also related.

Offline dgclough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 14:25 BST (UK) »
There was another family of Grays living in Solway, who I think could be related:

Residents of house number 18 in Solway (Victoria (part of), Down)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Victoria__part_of_/Solway/226718/

Offline Jellytot28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi - am new to this -but just to let you know my grandfather was Geoff Todd ( George Frederick Todd) and I have a copy of his typewritten work - Todd family Haghill so if I can help anyone in anyway please shout!

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Todd family of Haghill, Glasgow
« Reply #52 on: Friday 03 September 10 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Dee Dardes from Cincinnati Ohio has done considerable ressearch on the Todd families of County Down, including one that dates back to prior to 1625 when the name Toddstown refers to a townland (later carricknaveagh) in Central County Down.

I have been doing a survey of the Todds of Northern Ireland, but ultimately we would like to try to find the Scottish origins of the Irish Todds.

We are delighted to find someone on Rootschat who is related to the Geoff Frederick Todd who wrote a history of the Todds of Haghill Glasglow going back to the 1500s.

Are you a Todd or was your mother a Todd?

I have a Todd Families in America website if you are interested in the Todds who emigtated there.

Richard McMurtry

Offline Jellytot28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 04 September 10 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I am a Todd - my father is a George Todd - Geoff's son and
my brother is also a George Todd - I am now married but have kept Todd in my name to help genealogists in the future! Great that you are doing this - thank you.