Author Topic: Looking for more Blain children  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for more Blain children
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 09:24 BST (UK) »
There were a lot of HANNAY and HANNAY. + BLAIN  Families in Maybole Ayrshire in 1840

http://www.ayrshireroots.co.uk/Towns/Maybole/Maybole%201841%20Census%201.htm

I bet you regret commenting on the BLAIN  name now ... Lots of extra work 🙂

Yes. Slightly.  ;D

Mainly because I’m not up to speed with the family rather than it involving extra work. (Have had distractions today so unable to follow up suggestions or look at my tree).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 09:35 BST (UK) »
They all look like they could be “mine” Forfarian.  ;D At least most of those places sound familiar in relation to the Lamont family who Margaret Blain married into.

I’ll have a look on SP.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 11:42 BST (UK) »
I checked my previous SP searches and do have a few for this family.

Re your post #12 Brigid:

SP has a birth for a Margaret Blain 30/1/1815 Kirkcudbright parents William Blain and Janet Kirkpatrick, which must be the source for those trees on Ancestry. I haven’t viewed the image.

Annie. I don’t have a marriage for John Blain and Helen Hannay. I do have the 1806 baptism for Letitia Morison Blain which tells me that father John is deceased. I located his death, also 1806.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 01:55 BST (UK) »
Annie. I don’t have a marriage for John Blain and Helen Hannay. I do have the 1806 baptism for Letitia Morison Blain which tells me that father John is deceased. I located his death, also 1806.

Usually if a child is illegitimate when baptised, there will be wording which would show this, e.g. 'Natural' or similar.

However, I don't think I've seen a baptism where the father was already deceased i.e. I wouldn't know what might be written whether the child was illegitimate or not.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 02:16 BST (UK) »
Annie,  :)

Old Luce or Glenluce
Letitia Morison Blain daughter to the deceased John Blain and Helen Hannay in Mains of Park was baptized by Mr Searmont the ninth October 1806.

When I first read this I wasn’t sure if it meant that both parent were dead. I must have searched previously but looked again briefly last night but couldn’t see a Helen Hannay/Blain death in 1806.

I found John:
John Blain Mains of Park died March 15 1806 age 40.

I haven’t yet looked further into John or Helen, but you might expect earlier children or an earlier marriage for a 40 year old.

I found Mains of Park on maps and a little info about it online.

I am now entertaining the idea that perhaps Letitia and Margaret might not have been ‘real’ sisters. If Letitia’s father died (unsure about mother) she could have been taken in by extended Blain family. There is the previously mentioned Margaret b 1815 with parents William Blain and Janet Kirkpatrick who might be worth looking into.

I don’t like to make assumptions or speculate too much for fear of heading down the wrong trail. I’m wary of accepting a record which seems to fit OK just because it is the only one I can find, without being able to back it up with decent proof and documentation.  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 02:21 BST (UK) »
It looks like it's only John who's deceased.

It doesn't really give much in the way of working out whether they were married as it doesn't class her as his widow?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 02:43 BST (UK) »
It looks like it's only John who's deceased.

It doesn't really give much in the way of working out whether they were married as it doesn't class her as his widow?

Annie

Agreed. I haven’t got as far as looking for a possible re/marriage for Helen.

I might splash out and buy the Margaret 1815 baptism, but want to have a bit more of a look around before I head in that direction.  :)