Author Topic: Ages  (Read 795 times)

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ages
« on: Friday 24 November 06 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I know that ages in the census are to be taken with a pinch of salt but just how far would you stretch the age difference?

I have Catherine Kelly marrying Patrick Carr in 1878 - ages given as 19 and 21 which would have Catherine born in 1859.  Father is listed as Michael, labourer.

In the 1861 census I found, living in Bent St. Michael, dock labourer (30), wife Ann (29), Mary (7) and Catherine (2) which fits nicely.

In 1871 (same street) I found Michael, labourer, (48), Ann (46), Mary (17) and Catherine (12). Ages for the children is spot on but is a difference of 18 and 17 years for Michael and Ann a bit much?

It's the only Michael/Catherine combination I've found so far that seems to fit but I'm a bit worried that the age difference means they're two separate families and the names are a coincidence.  Going to 1881, what (rough) age do I go for  :)

TIA for any advice

Damien

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ages
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 06 13:26 GMT (UK) »
You may have done this but I would look in the 1861 to see if the older Michael and Anne are there.  If there's not trace of them there, it's probably the same family.  Search for both ages in 1881 - and maybe all dates in between!

I've got an example of someone gaining 15 years between censuses.  I suppose it depends who gives the information.

Good hunting
Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk