Author Topic: Boer War Roll of Honour  (Read 11119 times)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boer War Roll of Honour
« on: Friday 24 November 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Derbyshire Records Office has a Roll of Honour of Derbyshire men serving in the Derbyshire Imperial Yeomanry in the Boer War. Does anyone have or know of a transcript of the names of the men listed. I am looking for a William or Wilfred Butler.
I have been looking for the  Wilfred  Butler who married Mary Ann Fletcher in 1905, but haven't been able to find him in the 1901 census. According to his marriage cert his father was John Butler, a miner. I'm told he may have been William Wilfred Butler. There is a William Butler, son of John, a miner, and Margaret Butler in Pinxton in 1891, of the right age. I can't find this man either in the 1901 census, so possibly they are one and the same???One possibility is that he was in the army during the Boer War.

In hope
Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War Roll of Honour
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 06 21:33 GMT (UK) »

Do you have any more detail or the reference details for Roll of Honour documents at Record Office?  Will look it up next time I'm there.

I've been trying to find a Charles Wright who is not around in 1901 - presumably involved in the campaign.

Knellie

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 06 10:08 GMT (UK) »
If anyone's looking at this "Derbyshire Boer War Roll,"  I would be very grateful for details of anyone with surname ASKEW, please.  I'm trying to identify the subject of a photograph taken by WW Winter of Derby around the turn of the century.  He's a young man in Boer War-type uniform, and the surname ASKEW is written on the reverse.  However, I haven't been able to gain much from census entries - it's difficult without a first name.  Of course, he could have been with some other unit.

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne
Tauranga, New Zealand

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 November 06 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Knellie and Brett,

Good to hear that someone else is having problems finding Derbyshire men in the 1901 census. I thought mine had ducked out of sight when the enumerator called!!!!
I think the reference is D6160/2/1-5.

I have e-mailed Derbyshire Records Office to see if they will have a look at the names on the roll for us. I will keep you posted with any replies.

Eric

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 November 06 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Eric, that's very kind of you to tag our requests along with yours.  Regards and best wishes, Brett

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reference.

I've made a note of names to check - next time I can get there!!

Knellie

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Nellie - much appreciated.  Regards and best wishes, Brett

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Knellie and Brett,
I have had a reply from the Derbyshire Records Office. They confirm that what they have on the Derbyshire contingent of the 4th. battallion of the 8th company Imperial Yeomanry, including the roll of honour is under the ref D6160/2/1-5. At present they don't have a transcript but plan to produce one. Unfortunately they didn't say whether our target names were on it!

They said I could either make an appointment to look at the material or they would research it for £11.50 per 1/2 hour.

There are more details of the roll of honour on their website but no names.

So Knellie, we would be very grateful if you could have a look at the material next time you visit the records office.

Regards
Eric

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Knellie and Brett,

BREAKING NEWS

I have found a web site http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kevinasplin/IVA.html which gives lists of soldiers shipped to the Boer War. I couldn't find my Butler nor I'm afraid your Charles Wright ,nellie but there was a

Askew George Edward  5090 private  8th. company 4th. battallion Imperial Yeomanry, the Derbyshire unit mentioned in my last reply, who could be the man in your photograph, Brett.

Eric