Author Topic: Wilcoxon and Duncan married 1848, Edinburgh  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wilcoxon and Duncan married 1848, Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I thought the information may possibly be useful to you when you can piece all the pieces(or Thomas)together!
Unfortunately I can't look at the original census pages for Scotland so I couldn't see whether Catherine was a widow but she was still on her own in 1891 so maybe Maria had died .
When I was searching through the census there seemed to be a military barracks in Edinburgh as some of the entries were soldiers and I wondered whether Thomas might have been in the army and posted there - just a thought. The civil parish for the soldiers was Canongate Edinburgh. Electoral Division Edinburgh Castle.

Catherine Wilcoxen Age 61
Born Midlothian Edinburgh
Civil Parish Largo County Fife
Address Kirkton Rose Cottage
Head of household-John E Miller+wife Mary Ann(both 59 and both born England)

George  M.Wilcockson Age 31
Born England
Civil Parish St Cuthberts Edinburgh
Address 78 Marchmont Rd(lLodger)
Occupation Medical Student 
Head of household is Sophia Goudie-lodging house keeper

Isaac Wilcockson Age 31
Born England
Civil Parish Paisley Abbey County Renfrewshire
Address  5 Laighpark Terrace
Occupation Boiler Inspector
Wife Alice 32  Lydia(5) Emily(2)-all b England -William 8 mnths born Paisley.

Harry Wilcockson Age 24
Born England
Civil Parish Hamilton
County Lanarkshire
Address Bothwell Road and Almada Street Hamilton
Occupation Soldier Private Infantry
Electoral Division Hamilton Military Barracks.

The reason I was looking at your post is that I saw a grave the other day in a cemetery in Wirral. The grave was for Jonathan Wilcoxon died 1906 age 71. I remembered doing a look up for Wilcoxon on Rootschat some time ago- when I searched I found your messages too.
I hope some of this may help some day - when you sort out all the Thomas Wilcoxons!

Regards

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
Thats  really interesting about Jonathan Wilcoxon, the family I mentioned from Cheshire - part of them moved to Wirral, Sutton, Shotwick, Neston, Burton areas,  where did you find Jonathan, was there any info on the headtone.
There was previously another Jonathan Wilcoxon who was a preacher  and tallow chandler in the Chester area, but he died about 1836 with no children.  A Google search should give you more info on him and his nephew, TW ., who was the father of all litle Bs. I sometimes wonder if I searched the PRs if there are more lurking in there .
The only Wilcoxons in Wirral were from my family that moved from the Frodsham area to Holt, and then  to Wirral and  one to London.
 Also the missing TW was born in the same area, his father ---yes  that`s right another one was in Chester in 1841 , but his son had disappeared.
Thanks for all this,
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 July 07 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again

The headstone has only one name - Jonathan Wilcoxon died Dec 24th 1906 aged 71. He was from Little Sutton (Wirral).
Would you believe I happened to have my camera with me so took a photo- only because it was such an unusual name and I remembered looking up the census record for Wilcoxon for someone on Rootschat.

If you would like to send me a peronal message with your e-mail address I'll be happy to send you the photo etc.

Don't know if you have checked the Cheshire Parish Register Database but there are quite a few Wilcoxons and Willcoxons there. If you don't select a parish - all the possibilities should show. Here's the link in case you don't have it.

Good luck with Thomas.

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/Live/v3.3/database.html

Regards

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk