Author Topic: Missing person on census  (Read 2918 times)

Offline MOM OF TWO

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Missing person on census
« on: Saturday 25 November 06 15:30 GMT (UK) »
What experience have other rootchatters of not being able to trace people on census nights. Is this common ?  Certain individuals in my family tree can be found on some censuses but then they may not be found on the next leaving gaps in the census sources.

Where have you found missing people on census nights ?
where should I be looking other than known area where they lived.

Is it possible to do census searches when they are on military service ?

lookingforward to your replies
Teresa
LYMBERY.  KNIGHT,  BROOKS, COCKERTON, DRAYCOTT, PAGE, TIVEY

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE &  DERBYSHIRE

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing person on census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 06 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teresa

Join the club  ;D  Some of mine are 'missing' and some of them critical for my direct line research :(  Been searching years trying to 'find' them in other ways, so will plug on and eventually ........ who knows.

Most of my families are in London, so various parishes and census years where my lot are missing.

Military service or being abroad is one possibility.  But more likely they may not have been enumerated, or enumerated incorrectly, or mistranscribed, but there are lots of reasons.  Also some census pages are so feint it is impossible to read them, or appear to have been damaged.  You'll also see a proportion of people whose names are listed as a blank or NK or Not Known or I've even seen someone enumerated as An Old Man (no name at all!).

Also, as far as London is concerned which I know best, there are sections of various censuses that have been destroyed or similar and are ...... history, so to speak.  There are records of which census pieces are destroyed/missing. 

I'm sure lots of others will pitch in with their Tales of the Missing  ;)

Don't give up though as there have been some amazing finds (many on Rootschat) of people one thought 'missing' on the censuses.

Sympathetically
Biker  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 06 15:47 GMT (UK) »

You can also have "occupational absences".
Mariners, miners on night shift, bakers etc.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 06 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Well I have been looking for one of mine for nearly 3 years now, still not got her on the census, but managed to find her baptism, when I saw the record poor soul was in the workhouse and the whole pages were all inmates from the workhouse and all aged 14, I wonder if this was done due to their age and would be ready to go and work for a living.  To say I was pleased with this info is an understatement, I screamed out loud ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So please don't give up they may surface one day  Good luck

Jane :D
LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 06 16:01 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of occupational absences, often unexplained as I know too, but there are also cases where whole families are unable to be found and this could be due to bad handwriting, spelling etc. especially if they have moved to an area you might not be expecting to find them.

Many Rootschatters will be happy help try to find them with creative searches, often just using a first name, birthplace and age.

Try posting details of the censuses you have them on the appropriate county board and let others join in the search.  Many hands sometimes work.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline sheddyg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 November 06 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Teresa -  I`ve had one or two away at school, quite a few visiting relatives or friends that I didn`t previously know about, some staying at guest or boarding houses and one who had unexpectedly become a member of the Clergy. Lots with misspelt names and incorrect ages, even wrongly given the same surname as the head of the household - just to throw me off the scent! and some who I just don`t know why I didn`t find them before! as they were there all along.
Of course there are some who I know I`ll never find...but I keep searching - just in case...
sheddyg
TOLLIT,middx,oxon BRUNNER, oxford,birmingham
STEER,middx,warcs,monmouth,CHAMBERLAIN,middx,NETTLEFOLD
COOPER,leics, bristol,  GOODRICH,leics
MILLS, bucks, WIGGINTON,eton
BISHOPdevon,aus,HAMBLY,cornwall, 
HARGREAVES,irelandto nz & aus, BOWMAN,ireland to nz & aus
BIDDLECOMBE Hants              
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ROSS Scotland

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 November 06 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teresa
One of mine has gone awol in 1871 - I have him in 1861 and in Richmond Workhouse in 1881 but where he is hiding in 1871 I don't know. So far even the combined forces on Rootschat have failed to locate him. Prison or asylum which enumerated by initials only is always a possibility.
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 06 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I have a whole family missing in 1861 - there's a thread going at the moment where I'm seeking help.

Another of mine was missing, but then I found them with because Ancestry had them under a different surname. So you might try that (eg if they are Smith, try Smyth, Cmyth, Smit, and so on)

Good luck

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 06 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I've got a whole family missing in 1891 :'( :'( I've tried all means to find them but with no luck!!!

Trouble is I really need to know what young children there were in the family to prove whether the first wife died in childbirth or not.

Typical  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....