Author Topic: Missing person on census  (Read 2919 times)

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Missing person on census
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I have the same problem. My maternal grandmother does not seem to be on the 1901. She married in the next year, and her future husband is already 'in situ' so to speak at the address given for both of them on the marriage cert. As she came from Malton, Yorkshire, and he was living in Cheshire, I'm at a loss to know where she was on that night. There is a girl with the same name about 12 miles away with a birthplace Marton, Yorkshire, but there is a Marton, so who can tell?

Jac
PEAKE & DAVENPORT (Devonport), Altrincham, Cheshire
MURRAY, Altrincham, Cheshire,  Aston, Staffs & North Meols, Lancs
LITTLE,  Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfriesshire & Gloucestershire
WILSON,  Malton, N. Yorks
HENDERSON, somewhere in Scotland (early days yet)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Oh Teresa, what have you started!!  ;D

You really have me thinking now, and revisiting those missing ones, and guess what, I still can't find them!!!

This family still has me beaten: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,158831.0.html

However, what I am doing is documenting all the missing ones, dates and places of birth, and the census where I have found them so they're all in one place!!  Although all mine seem to be missing on the 1861 census for some reason!

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I also have two miners missing on the1901....one of them is my Brickwall.

They are of the same family,  same area, the wives and children are all on the census....and I know that they were alive at that time.

So frustrating ::)

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I am missing one Robert Main, my gr grandfather, from the 1861 and 1871 censuses.  I have his birth certificate, he was born in 1854 in Great Cressingham, Norfolk to James Main and Mary (nee Youngs).  But he doesn't turn up again until the 1881 census, where he is living with his aged mother and third husband, still in Norfolk.

Where he went in between is a mystery.  I've tried looking in his mother's maiden name, looking for every Robert b1854 in Norfolk.  I've tried looking at every person in Great Cressingham for five years around 1854.  Believe me, I've tried every path.

His father died the year he was born, and his mother was re-married by the 1861 census.  But Robert isn't living with them, and he would have only have been 7 years old.  How callous is that?  I thought I had found him living in an orphanage with the initials R M, can't remember where now, but it wasn't him.

I've given up on his lost years, but I know where he was from 1881, so at least that's good!

:)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I know just how you feel Roz I cant find one family at all on the 41 but they are there in 51 and another one appears married (none found) in 1881 disappears in 91 and 1901, found daughters marriage in 190? (cant remember exactly) says deceased,  no  sign of his death even.  He seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth  >:( >:( >:(
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I have one that might have been deemed "missing" were it not for the fact that I know he had been sent abroad to live with relatives because his family of origin had more children than they could afford to keep.  In this case, he was sent to Germany, and later returned to marry in England, then he emigrated to a third country!  Thought this might be a useful clue for somebody.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein