Author Topic: George W Phillips - Brickwall - Islington/Clerkenwell  (Read 5643 times)

Online jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
George W Phillips - Brickwall - Islington/Clerkenwell
« on: Sunday 26 November 06 11:54 GMT (UK) »
After tracing the wrong man for a number of years :(, I am back to square one.

The confirmed information I have is:-

George William Phillips

1st marriage - Louisa Elizabeth Ashby - 9 Dec 1883 at Bethnal Green. He was 22, occupation bookbinder. Father George , occupation carman
Address at time of marriage - 10 St James Terrace, Hanwar St, Hackney Road, London

2nd Marriage - Beatrice Mary Court - 26 Mar 1917 Tottenham, North London
Father George, occupation builder?

According to the census returns....

1891  as George W  - 13 Noble St, Clerkenwell - age   32   occupation - cabman,   place of birth - Islington

1901  as George Phillips - 13 Noble St, Clerkenwell - age  42     occupation  - cab driver/groom    place of birth - Clerkenwell

Children - including my grandfather all born at 13 Noble St, Clerkenwell.(Children - William Duncombe, Elizabeth Jane, Henry George, Frank Alec, Bertie/Bert)

I am having problems trying to find him on the 1881 census - although there are a number of George with fathers also called George.

I have no information as to whether George Wm had any siblings. I have ordered several incorrect birth certificates - (two had fathers who were cabinet makers , which ruled out two possibilities, a third was a locksmith).

Any suggestions on how to progress greatly appreciated. This is the only family line that I cannot progress beyond 1881 on.  :)

Regards

Jan
Hertfordshire - Stone, Wells, Quarry,Claxton
London - Sutton (Southwark/Clerkenwell), Phillips (Clerkenwell), Stone (Chelsea)
Suffolk - Turner & Rogers (Lavenham)
Norfolk - (K)Nobbs & Germany (Norwich)
Middlesex - Shackell
Anywhere - Quarry & variants
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George W Phillips - Brickwall - Islington/Clerkenwell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 06 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Could this be him in 1871?

RG10/428 pg 21 (I think)
Mary Ann, Widow b. 1833
George W b 1859, St Foster
Henry G, b. 1871, St Faith

St Foster is, I think, St Leonard, Foster St. close to Clerkenwell.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 06 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Or possibly RG9/130/109 pg 33.

Both parents alive, and although this George W was born in Pimlico, his younger sister, Martha, was born in Islington. Perhaps they forgot who was born where?

Or am I clutching at strwas here?!

meles

Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Online jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 06 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt reply - I had not thought to progress to 1871 -  as having jumped to wrong conclusions before , I was a bit wary this time!!!

Although I lived in North London, my knowledge of central London is limited!

I will certainly follow up this line - It may be like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, but I will perservere!

Thanks

Jan
London - Sutton (Southwark/Clerkenwell), Phillips (Clerkenwell), Stone (Chelsea)
Middlesex - Shackell

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 November 06 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I drew a blank with 1881 too. Nothing even close.

Let us know what you think of the suggestions - if you think they're no good, and we can go on looking - it's a wet day...  ::)

meles

Online jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 06 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Only just got back to the computer - have found a George  aged 1 , born at All Hallows, London (son of a George, who was a carman, born Herts) in 1861 census - mother Sarah (born Essex). So I'll try and follow this forward , but am not too hopeful.

Jan
Middlesex - Shackell

Online jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 07 17:37 BST (UK) »
Have only just got back to this line of research - due to Christmas/cold/dentists/work etc!

Have got the birth certificate for the above mentioned George.
He was registered as George Thomas Phillips - born 28 Camomile (?) Street, City of London, son of George Phillips (Carman) and Sarah (formerly Green). 

Have checked out the 1871 entry mentioned by Meles, but on the 1881 census I found:

75 Fleet Street
Mary Ann Phillips wife age 49 Laundress born Esher, Surrey
George William Guyatt  son age 22 Pianoforte tuner Born London St Martin Le Grand

So I think this one may be a dead end.

I am continuing to seek this elusive individual. Any sightings or suggestions will be welcome"

Jan
Middlesex - Shackell

Online jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 07 17:04 BST (UK) »
Returning to the elusive George once again!!

Have checked out further birth certificates - but no joy
1862 Chelsea - father is Edwin (journeyman tailor):(
1859  Shoreditch - father George  :) Occupation cabinet maker  :(
1858 Clerkenwell - father Richard (occupation boot or book maler journeyman  :(
1859 St Luke Middlesex - father William (occupation  coopers labourer) :(

So am no further forward - apart from eliminating a few more Georges!!

There is a George Phillips  in 1871 at a "Boys Refuge" at 96 Mansell Street, Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets.  Aged 12 born  Middlesex (rest I cannot read) - "Under Industrial School Act" . Can anyone advise me about that?

Thanks

Jan
Middlesex - Shackell

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 October 07 23:13 BST (UK) »
The Industrial Schools Act
At first like the ragged schools the Industrial Schools were run on a voluntary basis. However in 1857 the Industrial Schools Act was passed. This gave magistrates the power to sentence children between the ages of 7 and 14 years old to a spell in one of these institutions. The act dealt with those children who were brought before the courts for vagrancy in other words for being homeless. In 1861 a further act was passed and different categories of children were included:

Any child apparently under the age of fourteen found begging or receiving alms [money or goods given as charity to the poor].
Any child apparently under the age of fourteen found wandering and not having any home or visible means of support, or in company of reputed thieves.
Any child apparently under the age of twelve who, having committed an offence punishable by imprisonment or less.
Any child under the age of fourteen whose parents declare him to be beyond their control.(5)
The act stated the child had to be ‘apparently’ under the age of fourteen. This was because children often lied about their age if it was advantageous for them to do so. Some children genuinely did not know how old they were. It was not until 1875 that it became compulsory to register births.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk